Maydare Volume 1 Chapter 9 - Potions Class Field Training II (Part 3)

 Apparently automatic email updates won't be a thing any longer? Hope there's an alternative


The next day, the results for this time’s off-campus field training were posted.


“What!”


To our astonishment, Team 9 was in second place. First place was Team 1 led by Beatrice.


“H-how...We made such excellent eye drops. Excellent enough to give us eyesight that paralyzed the enemy!”


We were so shocked that we froze for a while. Then, Frey hurriedly pulled on the robe of Nero, who was quietly trying to throw himself out the window.

Apparently, our potion was perfectly executed, but the problem was our actions. We were given minus points for carelessly advancing towards the back of the cave behind the waterfall.


This field training wasn’t just for Potions, but also Magical Athletics. Professor Lila marked that strictly.


“I heard about what happened this time.”


With the distinct sound of clacking footsteps, she came up to us with a triumphant look on her face. With her team members in tow.


“...B-Beatrice.”


We tensed up.


Beatrice smiled self-importantly, but looked around at us who were injured everywhere. 


“It must have been troublesome to be caught in the transference magic the villain had set up. As a result, we are in first place. I’m sure you must be very disappointed.”


“Grr…”


While thinking about how when I’m frustrated, I really say “Grr” out loud,


“However, it is true that you have been through a lot. It’s a miracle that you were able to come back alive at all, and according to rumors, you rescued the girl the villains kidnapped. To show my respect, I shall leave Mr. Nero to your team for now. Well, if I don’t do at least that, then there would be no rivalry worth having either, right? Ohohohohohoho!”


“...”


With even more self-important laughter than usual, she left.


The way she said it was irritating, and she was interminably prideful, but her judgment of things was very much like a magician’s, and as a result, Nero would be staying with our team. ...The person in question was looking up to the heavens.





It was after I returned to my room.


“What’s wrong, Makia?”


Lapis finally asked as I was prowling around everywhere in our room, turning over pillows and looking under desks.


“Donsuke isn’t here!”


“Is that the...yellow dwarf hamster spirit?”


“Yes.”


They were spirits, and they were free-spirited ham-chans who willfully returned to their cage, went into my hood, and crawled into my basket, but I let them do what they wanted, and before I knew it, the yellow Donsuke was missing.


Only the white Popotarou was in the cage, and I couldn’t find the yellow Donsuke no matter where I searched.


“I wonder if it’s possible that I left him on that uninhabited island. I left him in my robe pocket, and maybe the transference magic sent him somewhere else. What should I do, I have to go back and look for him…”


“Calm down, Makia. You can summon contracted spirits.”


“Yes, yes, you’re right.”


We learned it in Spirit Magic Studies, but once a spirit was contracted, it can be summoned back to your side with a simple re-summoning spell. I made a summoning circle at my feet.


Myr vis makia——Return to me, Dontanates.”


All I had to do was to order him with his official name.


But it wasn’t Donsuke who jumped out of the magic circle. A blackboard fringed with flowers came to a standstill in front of me, and chalk letters appeared on the surface.


“...’On a mission’...?”*


(TN: This is written in hiragana)


Lapis and I stared at it and checked it over and over again.


What’s going on? Did I order Donsuke to do something?


In any case, I was worried, and I went to ask Professor Ulysses of Spirit Magic Studies.





Professor Ulysses was sitting on the edge of an artificial pond in a glass-enclosed greenhouse located on the school grounds called the Crystal Palace, looking into the water surface with white water lilies floating on top of it.


The sunset could be seen through the glass, and the water was beautiful as it reflected that crimson. The professor was also enveloped by some mysterious magic.


His expression was tinged with sorrow, and he seemed to be murmuring something. Was there something in the water?


Beautiful richly colored airfish were swimming around him, returning to the pond and flying out of it to swim in the air. 


I gulped at this fantastical and relaxed time.


“Oh?”


Noticing me, the professor took on a teacher’s expression, the one he had when he was teaching a class.


“What is the matter, Miss Makia?”


“Um, Professor Ulysses. ...Is this a good time?”


I think he was talking to someone in the water, but…


“Ah, fufu. I was talking to Headmaster Pan just now.”


“Eh, the headmaster?”


“I’m still here.”


Headmaster Pan’s goat face appeared out of the water. I couldn’t help but let out a “Gyah!”


“How do you do, Miss Makia O’Drielle. This is our first time speaking face to face with each other.”


“...Y-Yes. How do you do, Headmaster Pan.”


A bit nervous, I plucked up my robe and greeted him.


“Very well, thank you. You have run into quite a bit of trouble the other day. It is due to our oversight that a transfer device was set up on an herb garden island managed by the school. In order to prevent such an incident from happening again, the school is determined to investigate the cause and take all possible precautions. Please be at ease and study hard.”


“Yes. Thank you very much.”


That was all Headmaster Pan said before hurriedly going back into the water. 


It was a mirror at the entrance ceremony, but...where exactly was Headmaster Pan’s main body?


“By the way, you wished to see me?”


Professor Ulysses moved the sleeves of his loose-fitting white robe, asked me to sit down next to him, and asked me again. I sat down next to him and began talking about the situation.


“Well, one of my spirits has gone off somewhere. I tried re-summoning him, but a message came out saying that he’s ‘in the middle of a mission.’”


I talked about how the two spirits were in my basket until halfway through the field training. I talked about how after I returned to school, the yellow dwarf hamster Dontanates had disappeared. I talked about how even when I tried asking the white Popoloactus, he just looked at me blankly and didn’t give me an answer.


“Hmm,” Professor Ulysses put his hand on his chin and thought for a moment.


“Spirits have the ability to make their own judgments. Perhaps he sensed that there is something you think you need and is in the middle of accomplishing it.”


Something I need? I had no idea what that was.


“There are spirits who leave their master and carry out long tasks. For instance, Headmaster Pan, whose face was floating like a drowned body earlier, was ordered by the ‘White Sage’ five hundred years ago to protect this magic school. He believes that that magician will return here.”


“...”


Drowned body?


“Spirits can’t forget a master they once served and are faithful to their orders. Even if they don’t have orders, if they feel that it is needed, they will try to fulfill their role. To a tragic degree…”


Professor Ulysses was looking up at the sparkly ceiling of the Crystal Palace, but then knitted his brows together and smiled bitterly.


“Um, will Donsuke...Dontanates return to me?”


“Of course. After he finishes his duty.”


Professor Ulysses smiled kindly at me, who was out of my mind with worry and admonished me.


“Dontanates and Popoloactus are twins, always together. Wherever one is, they are drawn to the other like magnets. Therefore, once you find Dontanates, think carefully about why he is ‘there.’ I’m sure it will be very important.”


“...Yes.”


“Those two are excellent, your supporters. I know that very well.”


“...?”


“What I mean is that you can be rest assured.”


Professor Ulysses’ words were meaningful, but also strangely comforting.


I don’t know what Donsuke is doing and where, but I hoped he would come back to me soon.





Afterwards, I completed difficult classes every day, several field training sessions and experiments with my team members, and had just finished our end-of-term tests.


Donsuke still hadn’t returned yet, but a person who seemed like a messenger from the palace came to us. They said that all of us in Team 9 were invited to the upcoming summer ball at the palace. 


I had thought I couldn’t enter the royal palace unless I became an honor student, but it never occurred to me that I would be invited to a ball for rescuing the Savior. 




Comments

  1. Thanks for another part! I have a feeling I know where Donsuke went

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog