Maydare Volume 5 Chapter 6 - The Witch and Knight in Love

 Back to Deliafield after a year! Also Thor x Makia shippers come get your food


“Milady, Milady, please wake up. We’re going to the Salt Forest today.”


“Mmm, five more minutes~~”


“What’s the matter with you, Milady? You’re slacking off too much just because you’re back home.”


“Isn’t that what home’s for?”


“...Good grief. You seemed so dependable at school.”


“School is school. And home is home.”


I rolled over and turned my back on Thor on my bed.


I heard Thor’s exasperated sigh. 


That’s right. I was now back at Deliafield.


Before going to Frezier, I received a week’s vacation. Professor Ulysses made time for me to return to Deliafield with Thor.


Lune Ruschia had been closed for some time, and reconstruction work was being hastened.


The attack had happened right before a long vacation in the first place, and we had just finished the closing ceremonies.


In the end, the Garnet honor student was Nero Pachelbel, who earned top marks in two classes, but Nero had already left Lune Ruschia and would probably not return to that school in the future.


The attack was a shock to the people of the Kingdom of Ruschia and to the neighboring countries.


The Kingdom of Ruschia had always been a nation that enjoyed peace, protected by an allied power that boasted a strong military force, the Frezier Empire.


Since there had been no wars with other countries in the past hundred years, and the citizens were of a laidback nature, there was a strong sense that war was a distant world, something that had nothing to do with them.


But now that the threat of the Hermedes heavenly Empire was so starkly displayed that everyone must be thinking these questions.


Is it fine for things to continue as they are?


When war breaks out, how well will this country be able to fight?


Who exactly is going to fight?


Especially the parents of the students, who had sent their children to Lune Ruschia Magic School, must have felt wretched.


Because of the precise evacuation priority response directed by Professor Ulysses, none of the students were killed, but several teachers were killed.


Uncle Medite was unharmed, but he was so exhausted that he needed to recuperate for a while, and among the dead were teachers who had helped me in my classes.


The mental trauma of the students was very severe.


Perhaps this would lead to a succession of students withdrawing from school. That’s what was being said.


“...”


But this was only the beginning.


When the true war began, there would be too much to lose to count.


Professor Ulysses also talked about it. When war broke out, we would have to send students who have graduated from Lune Ruschia to the battlefield as magic soldiers or magic knights.


In Maydare, magic had developed significantly with each war.


But Professor Ulysses said that he didn’t create a school to teach magic for that purpose.




“Thor, don’t you have to go say hello to the Bigreitzes?”


Father asked Thor at the breakfast table.


On paper, Thor was the adopted child of the Bigreitz family.


“I’m supposed to stop by for a while before returning to the castle. However, since Lord Bigreitz is often in the capital, he has often invited me to dine with him.”


“Hahaha! He is very appreciative of your work. I’ve heard that from him many times. And I was jealous each time. It was we, the O’Drielle family, who found you after all.”


Father laughed as he said that, but I think it was true that he was jealous.


I also went crazy with jealousy every time Sumilda called Thor her brother.


Thor was smiling with a slightly awkward look on his face.


“...But I couldn’t grant Lord Bigreitz’s wish. It’s no longer possible to make Miss Sumilda the first prince’s high consort.”


“Oh, yes. I, however, can’t help but be relieved for Miss Sumilda. I don’t know if the role of high consort will be a happy one in the near future…”


That’s right. It was mainly Lord Bigreitz’s ambitions that led Thor to be adopted by the Bigreitz family, a ducal family, and to become a Guardian with their backing.


His dream was to marry his daughter, Sumilda, to the first prince of this country and make her the high consort, but in the end, the first prince became engaged to the second princess of our ally, the Frezier Empire, and that ambition was crushed.


The black-hearted and big-hearted old man must have been greatly disappointed. But the situation was what it was.


To begin with, I couldn’t imagine Sumilda, a young lady who was the picture of selfishness, becoming the high consort with heavy responsibilities…


“But Thor, you’ve truly become a fine knight. I could hardly recognize you when you returned to our house. You used to be as scrawny as a burdock.”


“Everything is the result of Master’s, Lord Bigreitz’s, and the royal knights’ guidance.”


“Don’t be so modest, Thor. You’ve never been boastful of your talent.”


Father had been in a terribly good mood since this morning.


He must have been overjoyed to have Thor back in our house.


Father doted on Thor as though he was his real son.


“Come now, eat your fill. I was so excited that Makia was bringing Thor home that I ended up overcooking this morning.”


“Yes, Mistress. Your cooking is as excellent as ever.”


“My. Thor. Not only did you grow up to be a splendid man, but you’ve also become very good at flattery. Ufufu.”


Mother was also crazy about Thor.


However, I noticed that she would look sad from time to time.


She might be worried about where Thor and I were headed and what our mission was.


My parents didn’t know that Thor and I were the reincarnations of the〈Scarlet Witch〉and the〈Black Demon King〉. They only thought that we were going to the Frezier Empire as the Savior’s Guardians.


There were very few people in the palace who knew those facts to begin with.


The same went for Professor Ulysses, but the vessels that held the soul of a great magician was a nation’s greatest trump card.


For the Kingdom of Ruschia, that was Professor Ulysses, Thor, and myself.


For the Frezier Empire, that was Queen Shatoma, Bishop Eska, and General Kanon.


For the Hermedes Heavenly Empire, that was the Blue Jester…


Of course, it was said that there were several other people in the Hermedes Heavenly Empire who could stand toe-to-toe with Lord-class magicians, and in that country, they also had the Twilight clan and their technology, and above all, the vicious demon soldiers.


Queen Shatoma had told us about this.


It was prophesied that the ten great magicians would all be present in this world.


And that every country wanted to know how that limited number of ten was scattered around the world.


“By the way, Thor. What kind of relationship do you and Makia desire in the future?”


“Huh…?”


“Puh!”


Thor looked dumbfounded, and I spat out the tea I was drinking.


“Oh my, Makia, how improper.”


Mother wiped the table with a cloth. I also wiped my mouth with a napkin.


“T-That’s because Father asked Thor something weird!”


“Because you two are lovers, aren’t you?”


“Huh??”


When in the world did this come up?


Only me and Thor should know that I confessed my feelings to him.


“I heard that the Savior even allowed her Guardians to fall in love and marry.”


“I’m sure Lord Bigreitz would allow it. I’ll convince him somehow if I have to.”


“That’s right. Your father will take care of everything. In fact, why don’t you go ahead and get engaged here?”


“Hey, hey, slow down, both of you!”


Originally, my parents had the intention of making Thor a son-in-law to the O’Drielle family.


Therefore, my parents were jumping the gun and making this proposal with the sole intention of getting Thor and I together.


“Don’t just decide things for Thor on your own! Look at him, he’s uncomfortable.”


“I don’t really mind.”


“Hey, hey, Thor~! What’s with that big smile on your face!”


Thor, you were so desperate to reject the idea of being adopted into the family as a son-in-law when it first came up a few years ago. At this rate, he might be moved by my parents and accept this proposal!


I hit the table with my palms and dynamically stood up.


“Thor, let’s go to the Salt Forest right now!”


“Yes, Milady.”


This was to escape from the pressure of my parents, but since it looked like the two of us were happily going on an outing, my parents sent us off with a smile and said, “Take care!”


Both of them knew how despondent I was after Thor left this house.


Perhaps that was why just having the two of us together reminded them of our childhood days and made them smile in nostalgia.


〇 


It was just before Thor and I returned to Deliafield, I think.


Airi gathered the Guardians and told us this.


“You are the Guardians of the Savior, but you don’t have to put me first. Your hearts are free. I’m sorry for keeping you tied to me for so long.”


All of the Guardians were terribly surprised.


“I want to be equal with you. I want to take care of each other as friends. It’s okay to have someone you love, and it’s okay to get married. It’s your right to have someone more important than me.”


Nobody denied or stopped Airi’s impactful words.


All of the Guardians sensed that she was conveying her feelings in her own words.


Airi had changed.


When she came to this world, she learned that each and every person here had their own lives, feelings, and loved ones. And she remembered what was important to her.


Facing the reality she had continued to look away from, she overcame her setbacks and grew into a true Savior.


At that moment, all of us found her dazzling.


And thus, not out of duty, but from our hearts.


We swore to the crests on our chests that we would support her no matter what from now until the future.


〇 


Now then. The Salt Forest, which we hadn’t visited in a very long time.


It was quiet and cool here, as ever.


This mysterious forest of white plants and white minerals was said to have been inhabited five hundred years ago by the〈Scarlet Witch〉, called the worst witch in the world.


“Makia! You’re finally here.”


My grandmother, who lived in the Scarlet Witch’s house, hugged me, who returned to Deliafield for the first time in a year. I also hugged her back.


“I missed you, Grandmother!”


“I did as well. I was distraught when I heard about what happened at Lune Ruschia. You were wounded in a fight with enemy soldiers.”


My grandmother and I were no longer so apart in stature, and the way she embraced me was different from the way she embraced me when I was a little child, but for her, I was still her little granddaughter. Her concern and love for me was palpable.


“Is your body completely healed now?”


“Yes, I’m fine.”


Then, Grandmother looked at Thor, who was standing behind me.


“Boy…I shouldn’t call you that anymore, since you’ve grown too strong and manly. I won’t humble myself before you even if you have the standing of a duke now.”


“I’ve neglected to call upon you, Madam. Of course, I could ask for nothing better from you.”


Thor put his hand on his chest and called Grandmother “Madam,” just like he did back when he was a servant.


“Come now, you two. I’ve been working hard since this morning to get everything ready since I heard you were coming.”


I’ve just ate a hearty breakfast, but when I smelled the inviting fragrance of my grandmother’s baked treats, I decided that there’s always room for dessert.


While having tea, I told Grandmother about the past year.


About school. About what happened at my dorm.


About gathering team members and working together with my friends to produce results.


Grandmother was very pleased when I introduced her to the spirits who served the Scarlet Witch, Popoloactus and Dontanates.


“The theory that the Scarlet Witch’s familiars might have been dwarf hamsters is well known among Scarlet Witch researchers these days. Although this seemed to go against her public image, she was said to have been very fond of the wild dwarf hamsters that lived in this forest.”


“Oh, I didn’t know that! So, Popotarou and Donsuke were born here, huh.”


“I suppose that’s the case. The dwarf hamsters who soothed the loneliness of the Scarlet Witch wished to stay by her side forever and became her spirits. It is said that the White Sage must have listened to the wishes of those two dwarf hamsters and turned them into spirits.”


“...”


The White Sage…Professor Ulysses did that?


It was true that he knew from the start that Donpopo were the spirits of the Scarlet Witch.


It would make sense if the White Sage had turned the two dwarf hamsters into spirits. For the professor as well, Donpopo were spirits with which he had a deep connection.


I still didn’t have those memories yet.


However, I could easily accept this story because it was the indisputable truth.


“Do you two remember that?”


The Donpopo in question were absorbed in eating Grandmother’s special cookies on the table, but they laughed their usual “Hekera!” laugh and ran around the hut.


The two of them would always laugh to evade important topics.


“Hey, Grandmother. You’ve been researching the Scarlet Witch, right?”


I had brought something here in order to ask my grandmother a certain question.


It was the magic basket I always had with me even at school.


“My friend once told me that this was a gift from the Black Demon King to the Scarlet Witch. Is that true?”


“Oh? Your friend said that?”


“Yes. She’s…from the Twilight clan.”


When I said that name, Grandmother’s eyes widened.


“Is that so? The descendant of the Black Demon King, eh.”


The Twilight clan. That name was already well known throughout the Kingdom of Ruschia.


They were the main culprits in the recent assault on Lune Ruschia, and they were now magicians on the imperial side researching magic to be used in the war.


But my friend Lapis Twilight came to this country, to Lune Ruschia Magic School, to rescue her brethren who had been captured by Hermedes.


“If a Twilight said so, then this must have been a gift from the Black Demon King to the Scarlet Witch. I’ve never had any evidence to confirm this, though. But at that time, there was no other magician besides the Black Demon King who could apply such advanced spatial magic.”


“But weren’t those two bitter enemies? All the history books said so.”


Even in the bubbles of my memories, the Scarlet Witch and Black Demon King were always fighting.


“Who can say? History books are written for the convenience of the kings of that age.”


“Grandmother?”


“There must have been something untold between those two great magicians.”


Grandmother’s response was ambiguous.


Perhaps she long had doubts about the relationship between those two magicians that was recorded in history.


Indeed, I also found it hard to believe out of the blue.


The Scarlet Witch and the Black Demon King did seem to do nothing but fight with each other, but it didn’t seem like they hated each other.


There was a sense of wrongness in the first place. If those two magicians were now Thor and I, would we be a witch and knight who have such feelings for each other.


Thor was silently listening to this story by the side, but he didn’t particularly interject.


I assumed that he also saw a little bit of the Black Demon King’s memories, but he didn’t talk about them much.


“Oh yes, Makia. I thought I’d give this to you before you leave the country.”


“Hmm?”


Grandmother walked to the back room, and then brought something to me.


It was a very old triangular hat. However, it was well-preserved with no sign of fraying. It looked perfectly usable even now.


“This is…”


I knew at once what this was.


“It’s the Scarlet Witch’s trademark. It’s five hundred years old, but hasn’t deteriorated in any way. It’s said that this hat was spun with the Scarlet Witch’s thread magic.”


“Thread magic…?”


So basically, it was made with the Scarlet Witch’s hair and her magic power.


“The witch was said to have decorated this witchy triangular hat with anemone flowers. In the end, however, she gave it to her ‘apprentice.’”


“...Apprentice? The Scarlet Witch had an apprentice?”


“Yes, just one. It’s a little known fact, but in this house, you can find traces of their lives together everywhere. I believe that it’s because she had an apprentice that this house is still standing, and why the O’Drielle family exists.”


I was shocked.


I never imagined that the Scarlet Witch had an apprentice, and I still didn’t have any memories of that.


“Makia. You should take this. For some reason, I feel that you should have it. I don’t think such an old hat can be used for anything, though.”


“No, Grandmother, it’s reassuring. It’s the Scarlet Witch’s hat, after all.”


I tried putting it on.


It fit my head perfectly. When I wore it, my heart felt calm and peaceful. 


I wonder why. Was it because I was the reincarnation of the Scarlet Witch?


Grandmother didn’t know about that, but for some reason she entrusted me with the Scarlet Witch’s hat, which was said to have been in this house for a long time.


It was getting a little dark outside, and it was time to leave Grandmother’s house.


Grandmother first called out to Thor.


“Boy. You may be the Savior’s Guardian, but I’m also leaving Makia in your care. Don’t forget that it was she who found you. That being said, the fact that you climbed this far is due to your own strength. You are a force to be reckoned with in my opinion. It’s because you are who you are that I trust you with Makia.”


“Yes, I will accept this responsibility, Madam.”


“Makia. You have mastered some of the Scarlet Witch’s spells, but please don’t do anything reckless. Whatever happens in the future, do not risk your life.”


Grandmother gripped my hand and spoke seriously.


“But if the time comes when you have to make a choice, choose your own path. If you go to Frezier as a Guardian, you can no longer be a child. Magicians teach that we must not forget our child’s heart. …But no one can stop people from becoming an adult.”


You must not forget your child’s heart.


But no one can stop you from growing up.


When I became aware of this contradiction, the image of those three great magicians suddenly flashed through my mind.


They surely didn’t forget their “child’s hearts” when they worked together to build that magic castle on a small southern island.


But after that, they must have been forced to make an adult choice.


“I understand, Grandmother. But I’ll be okay. I’m not the only one fighting. My friends are also fighting for what they believe in this world of grown-ups.”


As I engraved my own words into my heart, I thought about them again.


About everyone in Garnet Team 9, who had fates and stories that were different from mine.


“I can do my best just by standing in the same arena as them.”


For instance, if I was nobody and I was in a position where I couldn’t do anything in the future…


I wouldn’t have been able to stand shoulder to shoulder with Nero, Lapis, Frey, and everyone else and face that future world.


When I thought about that, it was a hapless fate, but I didn’t curse it.


No matter what happened in my previous life, as Makia O’Drielle, who was born in this time, I wanted to do my best with my friends of this time.


The time to make a choice, as Grandmother said, might eventually come to me in some form.


But I didn’t think I could keep waiting for them in faraway places without knowing what was going on in the world.


Because I, too, wanted to be in the center of the world and see the times ahead.


If during that process, for example, I recalled the Scarlet Witch’s memories and magic, I wanted to keep myself in sight, at the very least.




On our way home, we came upon a field of bright red anemones blooming in the Salt Forest.


They were the only red in a world of white.


As ever, these anemone flowers wildly blooming in the silence made my heart skip a beat.


“Anemones aren’t supposed to be blooming in this season. And yet in the Salt Forest, they bloom all year round.”


“They are the flowers that symbolize the Scarlet Witch.”


The flower that symbolized the Scarlet Witch…


I remembered that in the language of flowers, anemones meant “I love you.”


But that was the “I love you” of unrequited love.


The Scarlet Witch was said to have an unrequited love, but who was it for? And since the O’Drielle family, her descendants, exist, I’d assume that she fell in love with someone and bound herself to them, but…


I still couldn’t remember the “truth” behind the Scarlet Witch’s unrequited love.


“...Hey, Thor. Do you think we can return here again?”


“Of course. I’ve been working hard for so long for that reason.”


We were sitting on a hill overlooking the field of anemones, nestling close to each other and chatting whenever we felt like it.


“By the way, Milady. Let’s continue that talk that’s been left unfinished for a while now.”


“Continue a talk that’s been left unfinished?”


Thor, next to me, had a serious look on his face.


My eyes fluttered, and I was pretty sure I looked like I had no idea what he was talking about, but Thor was staring at me so intently that I finally realized.


Oh, that’s right. Thor was talking about what happened back then.


About me confessing my feelings to him in the glass bottle atelier.


“Ah, aaah….”


While my face turned bright red, I kept looking away, which made me look very suspicious.


Then, unconsciously, I tried to crawl away from that spot.


“Why are you trying to escape? Do you think you can run away from me, Milady?”


Thor, with a smile on his face, grabbed my foot to pull me back as I tried to run away. Was he a demon or something…


“It’s fine. If you’re going to reject me, just do it. Make it graceful and clean.”


“...”


As I was trembling with tears in my eyes, hugging my knees and making myself small, Thor put his hand on his forehead and let out a long sigh.


“Why do you always do that, Milady?”


“Huh?”


“Does the idea that I…I love you not exist in your mind?”


Thor’s voice sounded somewhat sad.


My eyes became dots and I put my hand to my ear.


“What??” I asked back.


“What’s with that irritating look on your face?”


Thor’s deadpan eyes were hurting me more and more.


“Because, because, you know. You said it’s no good…that it’s impossible…” I poked my fingers together as I mumbled. “Wasn’t that what you said. On the night when the stars fell.”


Then, I glanced up at Thor next to me.


“I did say that. But I’ve loved you ever since.”


Thor was looking straight into my eyes.


His frank words and his gaze were filled with a mature confidence and determination that was unlike the Thor from when we were children.


“I can’t say that the current me is worthy of you. There is no way to ignore my lowly birth. But I’ve learned that I can’t endure it any longer. The thought of pulling back here and you possibly falling for another man…”


“...Is that jealousy?”


“It’s jealousy and possessiveness.”


Thor told me that without any shame.


My mouth opened and closed repeatedly. I looked down to hide my face that felt like it was on fire.


“But, but…”


But I still had many worries.


“We are the reincarnations of the〈Scarlet Witch〉and〈Black Demon King〉.”


Even if we still didn’t have those memories yet.


“Professor Ulysses told us that from now on, we’re going to remember more and more. We have to remember the magic that we had mastered in those memories. If that’s the case, can we really…hold on to these feelings?”


It was said that the Scarlet Witch and Black Demon King always fought like cats and dogs.


Even if we had feelings for each other now, we might recall our conflicting hatred.


“If we remember our memories from when we were great magicians, you might hate me…”


That was something I’ve been terrified of.


I tried not to think about that too much, but the thought of how I might stop being me, how Thor might stop being Thor, frightened me. Would these pure feelings disappear…?


“That will never happen.”


But Thor took my trembling hand and squeezed it tightly.


“As if I can let such strong feelings been overturned…!”


His words were filled with deep passion.


As my chest tightened, I recalled my own fervent love in the face of Thor’s strong feelings.


About two and a half years ago――


My first love suffered from a painful parting at the moment I realized those feelings.


In order to pursue Thor, I enrolled in Lune Ruschia Magic School in the capital and aimed to be the top of the class.


It wasn’t like I believed that this love would pay off.


But I was just afraid that my love for him would disappear without me doing anything about it.


I didn’t want it to end without being able to convey any of it, like Oda Kazuha.


I wanted to see for myself where it would end up and how it would conclude.


But Thor, who I fell in love with, also harbored passionate feelings that I didn’t know about.


It seemed like a miracle that he continued to have feelings for me, and it made me feel sad.


Both of us were pursuing each other.


“And Milady, you forgot something important.”


“Eh?”


Thor gently admonished me while wiping away my tears with his fingers.


“When you recalled your life before this one, did it take over your personality? I, at least, didn’t think you’ve changed in any way.”


Thor’s point struck me.


“Yeah. Now that you mention it, that might be true.”


I considered my previous life, Oda Kazuha, to be more of a mind neighbor than anything, even though I remembered all her memories.


Although there were similarities between us, our personalities were different, and Makia had the one personality of Makia while inheriting Oda Kazuha.


Can I inherit the〈Scarlet Witch〉in such a way?


As a mind neighbor and a different personality, while still accepting her thoughts and feelings.


“Thank you, Thor. I can always count on you to blow my worries away.”


“There’s no point in me being by your side if that wasn’t the case.”


A chilly wind shook the anemone flowers, but my chest felt warm.


Feeling a somewhat unbearable feeling, I flopped down on the spot.


I wanted to immerse my body in the cold soil, grass, and wind to cool down this heat in my mind and body, just a little.


“Ah.”


Before we knew it, the sky had turned a pale orange.


It looked just like the crimson sky over the school island during the recent attack.


Or, like that sunset-colored horizon where I encountered the Scarlet Witch.


Or, like the color of the last sky we saw on the school rooftop, burning bright red.


I once again felt an unbearable feeling. I wonder where this feeling would end up.


“...Hey, Thor, can we always be together from now on?” I murmured in a faint voice.


“Of course. And we’ll return to Deliafield together,” Thor declared, like he was imposing a vow on himself.


“What do you want to do when we come back?”


“Well, I want to marry into the O’Drielle family and become your spouse.”


“What!?”


“What do you mean, ‘what’. What’s with that shocked face while you’re lying down? …Wasn’t this discussed from the start? Both the Master and Mistress seem to want that as well.”


“Y-Yeah, but…yeah, but still! Are you serious? You can definitely aim higher.”


My eyes spinning, I pointed my index finger up at the sky.


Because Thor just said it so forthrightly…that means we’re getting married, doesn’t it??

“Milady, please calm down. If we’re talking about that, then the same goes for you. You have so many possibilities. For example…the dream of becoming a prince’s consort isn’t out of reach for you.”


“Huh? Are you talking about Frey? Prince Irresponsible?”


“There are rumors that that irresponsible Prince Frey wants you as his consort. But please stop it. That man is the only man I won’t accept.”


“That man…he’s still the fifth prince, you know? And the reason he wants to marry me is because he doesn’t want to marry another woman. He’s just using me as an excuse, it doesn’t have to be me…”


“Is that so? That man smacked of danger from the first time I saw him.”


“H-Haa…”


Thor’s face was serious. Indeed, he had been on edge against Frey from the start. He didn’t really have those kinds of feelings towards Nero, another male member of my team, though. 


I guess irresponsible guys are a no-go…?


Or maybe Thor was feeling panicked because Frey was still a prince at the end of the day. 


That wasn’t something Thor or my position could compete with in any way.


No, wait, Nero was also more or less a prince…


“Please don’t think about other men, Milady.”


“Huh?”


I found myself caught in Thor’s melancholic gaze, his violet eyes looking down at me.


“N-No, it’s not like I think of Frey and Nero in that…”


I didn’t consider it a big deal, but it was true that I was thinking about Frey and Nero right now. Thor saw right through that, and he narrowed his eyes slightly in displeasure. My heart skipped a beat. His voice, tinged with passion, and his mature gaze made me like that.


I didn’t know what he was thinking, but he changed his position, draped his body over mine as I lay on the grass and put his hands right next to my face.


“T-Thor…!?”


I let out little yelps at this unexpected happening, and unable to withstand his gaze, I finally covered my face with my palms.


“Why do you hide your face?”


“B-Because, because!”


I wasn’t used to these kinds of romance tactics.


I was too embarrassed to show my reddened face after being toyed with.


I hid my face temporarily to escape from this pounding in my chest, but Thor was merciless even at a time like this.


“Look at me, Milady.”


“...”


Thor’s voice sounded sorrowful.


When he spoke like that, I couldn’t resisting him. I slowly lowered my hands, as though opening a door closed tightly by magic.


The world was so quiet, yet I could feel my heart beating loudly and vigorously.


And so, I finally accepted Thor’s gaze, head on.


Thor’s violet eyes looked down at me with a melancholic expression.


…Ah.


One of them was a prosthetic eye, lost to save me.


But even that seared my heart, and I loved it helplessly.


I should have known by now.


Thor’s love. His wish. His true thoughts.



“Milady, please forgive me. I love you from the bottom of my heart.”



That day, that time, that place――


The black-haired boy I found was a scarred slave in chains.


He was sold by his parents, scrawny, and looked like he didn’t believe in anything in the world.


And yet.


This boy had grown up to become a fine knight and was able to love others.


That he was looking at someone with such loving eyes was a miracle.


The fact that I was the one reflected in those eyes of Thor.


I still couldn’t believe it, and there had never been such a happy, blissful moment in my life.


“Thor…”


Unconsciously, I reached for his cheek.


Thor covered my hand with his own and lowered himself, bringing his face close to mine.


I entrusted my everything to him, and the moment our breath, our hair, and our lips met, I silently closed my eyes and let the tears flow.


This wasn’t like the one-sided, cold first kiss that I did in order to save Thor’s life.


Only now we could forget all the complicated things, and the world was kind to us.


It was just me and Thor in this quiet forest, and it felt perfect.


Thor slowly parted his lips from mine. He noticed that I was crying and wiped my tears away with his fingers.


He, too, knitted his brow and whispered in a voice that sounded somewhat urgent.



“That’s how it is, Makia O’Drielle. Please be prepared.”



It was because it wasn’t his usual composed voice that it made my heart fill with emotion.


But those words were, as ever, tinged with his innate allure and devilishness.


I blinked my moist eyes and obediently nodded like a child.


Since that first day we met, I had been chasing and chasing Thor…


In the end, until now, I couldn’t look away from his presence.


Perhaps the reason why I became interested in Thor was deja vu from my previous life or a feeling of “concern” from a lingering memory that made me think, “I met him somewhere before.”

But it was a feeling without a name, like a light.


An unaware child’s heart.


It was me living in the present who was convinced of that love.


This is a passion that only belonged to the us of the present.


Then I could no longer run away from Thor. That was how it was.


I wasn’t sad, but the tears overflowed from me.


I was unbearably happy, but my chest hurt.


This must be what it means to be in love.



I’m glad I fell in love with Thor.


You must have fallen in love like this too, right? ――Scarlet Witch.






A cloudless early spring sky.


The blue sea of Miladriede.


What a perfect day for departure.


Then, a heavy bass steam whistle blew, announcing the departure of the ship.


“Wow…”


I was already on the sea on a huge magic ship bearing the Ruschia coat of arms. Many people were waving their hands and flags below to see us off.


Today, I would be leaving the Kingdom of Ruschia, where I was born and raised.


It would more than half a year before we return.


Thinking about it, I already felt lonely. I’ve met many people from many different countries, but this was the first time in my life that I’m leaving the Kingdom of Ruschia to go to a foreign land.


The Savior and Guardians weren’t the only ones on board. Professor Ulysses, who would be marrying the Vabel State’s priestess, was also there, as well as the ministers, ambassadors, and envoys of the Kingdom of Ruschia.


A meeting was scheduled to be held between the two nations of Ruschia and Frezier, which coincided with the worldwide ceremony of the Savior’s visit to the Holy Land.


Both sides needed to confirm each other’s knowledge of Hermedes’s capabilities and aims, as well as the response to the attack. Some of the items swallowed by Pan Faunus’ wind hole were magical weapons that needed immediate countermeasures.


Everything was headed in the direction of the Kingdom of Ruschia and the Frezier Empire continuing to build a close cooperative friendship and strengthen their alliance.


As such, I also had my own position among the adults.


I had the title of Guardian of the Savior, and special envoy.


This special envoy part included the role of being a Lord-class magician and whatnot…


The uniform issued to me as a special envoy of Ruschia consisted of a deep red jacket and skirt with gold embroidery. It was a classic and elegant design, typical of a country of knights and magicians. It was very nerve-wracking to go to a foreign country dressed the same as the adults…


No more school uniforms and girlish dresses for me for a while.


I was no longer a student to be protected, but ostensibly the Savior’s Guardian.


Airi also took off her high school blazer, which she had stubbornly refused to take off before.


She was dressed in the same deep red color as we were, but her design was slightly different, with a culotte skirt that seemed to be easy to move around in instead of a long skirt.


And lately, Airi has been tying her hair back with a plain ribbon.


Yes, somehow or other, she had the appearance of a boy.


“Airi, aren’t you thirsty?”


I called out to Airi, who was staring at the sea from the deck, while bringing her a cold drink.


“Thank you, Makia.”


“Hey, you look a little different now. A little boyish…”


“Hmm, are you saying I changed my image?” Airi smiled wryly. “If the Savior is a girl who keeps being protected, then no one in the world will feel safe, right? I don’t know what kind of Savior image people are looking for, but I thought I’d start by dressing in a way that makes everyone think I’m reliable.”


“I see. That’s amazing, Airi.”


“Ahaha, not at all. It’s for me as well. What can I say, I was trying to change my mood. People cut their hair if they get their heart broken, right? I guess it’s like that?”


“Airi, you got your heart broken!?”


“...Haa, this is what I can’t stand about you, Makia. That part of you hasn’t changed since Oda-san’s time.”


Airi gave me a gloomy look and gulped down the drink I had brought.


Then, she sighed again.


“And I’m not a high school student anymore, you know? I’m actually quite a bit older than you are now.”


“Huh, really!?”


But Airi was right. She was originally a high school third year, and two years have passed since the Savior had appeared in this world, so Airi was at least over twenty years old.


Maybe it was because she was always wearing her school uniform, but I hadn’t been conscious of that at all.


“Yes. I’m done being the girl who does nothing but dream.”


Then, Airi looked up at the blue sky.


She stretched her body and spoke with a bright expression.


“I have to become an adult soon…”


Adult, huh.


The time of childhood, when you are protected.


The time of sparkling youth came to an end, and the era of adulthood began.


No one could stay a child forever. And the stairs that adults had to climb were much longer, harder, steeper, and more uncertain than those of childhood.


But anyone would grow up and mature rapidly at this timing――


“Lady Airi has changed a lot. Everyone is very surprised.”


Thor came up next to me and watched from a distance as Airi called out to the other people on board.


“She told me that she had to become an adult.”


“An adult…?”


“I’m sure that she’s trying to become stronger.”


And Airi wasn’t the only one trying to get stronger.


Many of those on board this ship were leaving the country with the resolve to protect the things important to them and bear the responsibility of their roles.


Even if they weren’t glorious, like being the Savior or a Guardian.


Even if it wasn’t a story that will ever be told on the front stage.


“I have to get stronger too.”


Let’s go. We can’t stay in one spot.


Even if we are forced to leave the warmth of our homes, we will only be left behind in these turbulent times if we remain perplexed.


I was bound to experience many encounters and confront incidents that foreshadowed that.




Let’s go.


To the nation of those who bowed their heads to us and asked us to lend our strength.


To the Frezier Empire, which upheld the justice of this world――




Comments

  1. My favorite characters are maturing and I'm still the same as ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chapter really did subtlely (is that a word?) tell me to grow the f up 🥲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much every (good) shoujo story. Telling you the adult world exists and you can't live in fantasies forever.

      Delete
  3. I think Scarlet Witch didn't actually have direct descendants and the O' Drielle family was descended from 'the apprentice' that the SW presumably treated like her family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice chapter, i cant stop smiling

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see, so from the previous chapter and here, the message i get is "from youth to adulthood"
    Sob they grew up so fast....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog