Maydare Volume 1 Chapter 4 - Lune Ruschia Magic School (Part 2)

 Just skimmed the webnovel the other day and was surprised at how many of the concepts carried over, and was even more surprised that the webnovel got published into two volumes. I have 0 plans to translate but maybe I'll make a comparison post one day.



Royal capital Miladriede. 


It was a “city of water” on the southernmost coastal area of Ruschia, with many aquatic magic boats coming and going on the canals and waterways that ran through the city in all directions.


“Wow, that’s Miladriede Castle? It’s a lot more majestic than it looks in pictures.”

We also boarded a boat that took us along the central canal, where we could lay our eyes on the royal castle beautifully. 


The castle, surrounded by waterways and ten crystal pillars, was the center of Miladriede.


It is characterized by its pure white walls and roofs that were of a blue called Miladriede blue. The ornaments that looked like several golden crowns placed on top were dazzling, and my girlish imagination was aroused, thinking that the inside must be full of luxurious rooms, and wondering how they held balls.


“Hey hey, Miss Makia. If you lean out too far, you’ll fall. I’ve seen a lot of tourists falling into the river here.”


Uncle, sitting all the opposite side, said as he puffed on his tobacco pipe.


“Uncle, have you gone to the castle before?”


“Sometimes. I seldom see Thor, though.”


“...I see.”


Thor was living in that palace. With the girl who fell from another world, and his comrades who were connected by the Crests of the Four Lights. I wonder if he had already become a city boy.


“I mean, just forget about that shitty brat, Miss Makia.”


“Uncle, you’ve always been hostile to Thor.”


“That’s because I hate horrid little brats with talent and good looks. When I came to bring a surprise present for you once, he made me break my bones.”


“I was an accomplice to that as well. We never thought that you would fall into the pit we created as a way to practice magic. Oh, look, Uncle. A cute lemon tree. There’s a lemon candy shop too!”


The boats traveling along the waterways continued to entertain the streets of Miladriede.


The surrounding islands were known for their lemon cultivation, and there were many shops selling sweets, food, and other goods made from lemons standing side by side.


When we headed towards the bustling heart of the city, there were street performers playing music and showcasing their art.


The apartments were stylish, with their white walls and Miladriede blue roofs and window frames. Stained-glass magical streetlamps lined the milk-white brick roads, and there were ladies dressed in trendy puff-sleeved clothes and gentlemen in suits. 


The galleria, with its distinctive arched glass roof, was a sight to behold. It was a famous shopping district and tourist attraction, but it also had a waterway on which aquatic magic boats traveled. I think I looked up at the glass ceiling with my mouth wide open.


When we left the city center and headed south, I felt that the scenery had changed a little.


Private houses lined the waterfront, freely colored in reds, blues, greens, and yellows. Lemon trees, orange trees, and olive trees hung down by the road, their beautiful green leaves bathed in plenty of sunlight, and their fruits like gemstones. Women and men in ordinary dress were going about their business, and children were playing happily. Some magic tools seemed to have taken root among ordinary people, as they were cutting down trees with shears whose handles could be extended freely, using carriers that moved with magic, and it seemed that colored balls that returned to you no matter where you threw them were popular among children.


The royal capital Miladriede, where historic and modern buildings, as well as culture and magic that took root in daily life, came together. The lively activities of the people were interesting.


“Yes, I think I’m going to like this town, Uncle.”


“That’s great to hear. Then, how about the school?”


The boat passed under a large bridge, and when it came out from there, I smelled the scent of sea water.


My field of vision brightened even more, and the blue sky and blue sea jumped into view. And then,




“Welcome to Lune Ruschia Royal Magic School.”




A land-tied island connected to the coast of Miladriede by a long bridge.


Floating above the blue sea, it was more like a huge castle than an island, or like a fortress.


The majestic buildings that clung to the steep slopes and piled up high were a collection of architectural styles from various eras, and a long and narrow crystal lighthouse extended out from the top. At the top of it was a round magical crystal called a lacrima, which was emitting a strange frizzy light even in this daytime. 


“Wow…! It’s the most prestigious magic school in the world, Lune Ruschia Magic School!”


It was the place I've always been longing for. I was more moved than when I saw Miladriede Castle earlier, and I couldn’t help but applaud. 


After getting off the aquatic magic boat, we walked across the long bridge that led to the island and headed for the magic school on the sea.


A huge statue of a goat and verdant trees ladened with lemons, as expected, sat quietly in front of the school’s imposing gate. Keeping my nerves in check, I now made my way to the school grounds.


“Lune Ruschia Magic School is like a small-scale town, and classes are held in all the facilities on the island. There are cathedrals, lecture halls, student dorms, research facilities, countless ateliers, living quarters for teachers and staff, several dining halls and stands, stores specializing in magical tools for classroom use, and even a small souvenir shop. If you get the school’s permission, even students can open their own stores here. Also, you can take as many lemons that grow here as you want. The lemon trees have sharp thorns, so be careful.”


“It’s a lot freer here than I thought it’d be.”


“Well, magicians are basically the do-as-you-please types. However, there are many situations where you are responsible for your own actions, and even if you’re a student, the school can’t always protect you. This is that sort of place.”


“...Yes. I don’t dislike that.”


From the gaps between the old buildings piled up on top of each other, the soft light of early afternoon shined through.


I felt a strange throbbing in my chest, like I had wandered into an unknown world.


The fragrance of ripened lemons all throughout the school would become the scent that would nestle up close to my daily life from now on.


“Ah…”


When I went up the milk-white brick stairs, I saw an old fountain in a place that looked like a central square.


There was a boy quietly staring up at that fountain.


He had platinum blond hair and was wearing an old suit that was slightly too big on him.


I wondered if he was a student at this school. There was a very strange air about him, and when I followed him with a side glance, I thought our eyes met for an instant between the bands of water emitted from the fountain.


The color of his eyes, a vivid magenta like purple and red mixed together, were very rare...


“Miss Makia, over here!”


“Ah, yes!”


Called by Uncle, I climbed to an even higher place.


From here, I could see the azure sky and the turquoise blue sea, the streets of Miladriede, and the other island dotted around. As well as the terraced lemon tree groves spread out on the cliffs of the island. There were seabirds flying too.


“The girls’ dorm is over here.”


The boys’ and girls’ dorms were naturally separated, and the girls’ dorm was surrounded by a huge, easily recognizable wall. It almost made you wonder if this was the real fortress.


Uncle reached into his pocket for something and then handed it to me. 


It was the student handbook for Lune Ruschia Royal Magic School. 


“Thank you, Uncle.”


“I’ll tell you one last thing, Miss Makia. Call me ‘Professor Medite’ in school, not Uncle.”


“Oh, I see. ...Then, Professor Medite.”


“Okay, okay! I’ve been looking forward to the day when you’d call me by that. Look forward to Potions class, okay?”


“...”


From now on, I would learn many things from Professor Medite, not Uncle. I felt somewhat complicated.


“Well then, Miss Makia. I’m usually in my personal atelier in Building 5, so feel free to come by if you need anything. Like if there’s anything you don’t know, or if you don’t like the girl you’re sharing your room with.”


“I’m sharing my room!?”


“Oh, didn’t you know? It’s generally two people to a room here. You have a roommate too, Miss Makia. If I remember correctly, err…”


“I got it! I’ll go confirm it for myself!”


Unable to contain myself any longer, I passed under the imposing door to the girls’ dorm.


“Professor Medite, let us meet in class next time.”


And then, I looked for my room while checking the number on my admission form. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog