Maydare Volume 1 Chapter 4 - Lune Ruschia Magic School (Part 1)

Happy new year guys!



Clang clang...clang clang…


It was spring.


The green wheat fields, ready for the summer harvest, flowed endlessly outside the train window.


In a warm region like the Kingdom of Ruschia, olives, wheat, grapes, oranges, and lemons bore fruit abundantly. One realizes the fact that most of the areas outside the cities were agricultural when traveling on a long-distance train. 


A year and a half had passed since that night the stars fell.


I, Makia O’Drielle, was now fifteen years old.


Now I was riding a magical train with a trunk and my magic basket.


It was for enrolling in Lune Ruschia Magic School, which I passed the exams for.


As I nodded off, an area where almond trees were in full bloom crossed my sight from time to time. Every time, my chest buzzed quietly.


“Almond flowers...are a bit similar to Japan’s sakura flowers.”


Japan. That was the country where I lived in my past life.


...I’m sorry, past life me. 


I’ll apologize here for how even though I’ve dreamed about you many times as a child, I didn’t realize that it was my past life at all and continued to make fun of you for being a cowardly and dull girl.


This was after Thor was gone.


I was so lonely that I became emotionally unstable, sulking, raging at every little thing, running around, and sobbing.


At that time, the duke’s daughter Sumilda Bigreitz, who became Thor’s younger sister on paper, said to me,


“Since magic school is in the capital, maybe you’ll unexpectedly bump into Big Brother Thor somewhere.”


She was absolutely right, I thought, and I studied hard to prepare for the magic school’s entrance exam. Thank you, Sumilda.


I had been working hard on magic until then, but with a defined goal, I became desperate as though I was being possessed by something. It was to the point where even my noninterfering parents were worried about my health.


Apparently, after Thor was summoned to the capital, he was immediately made to join the royal knights in order to train him into being an excellent Guardian.


That was why, if I went to the capital, I might be able to meet Thor somewhere.


I haven’t seen or heard from him since then. But I think I had to see him again.


I had thought several times that my dreams and the scenes I saw on the night of the meteor shower were of my past life.


So many things happened that day that I was confused and couldn’t ponder upon it right away, but I recovered my memories day by day and I was now sure that those were from my past life.


If that was the case, then maybe it wasn’t just me, but also Thor who was the reincarnation of my crush who died at that time…


This was something like intuition, there was no certainty.


I didn’t think Thor and that boy’s face and personality were that similar just because I unconsciously gave him the same name. 


That night, Thor didn’t seem to have recalled his past life’s memories, rather, he was chosen as a Guardian, so it wasn’t the time for that…


If I could see Thor next time, I had to confirm the past life stuff somehow.


In the end, I didn’t really care if Thor was or wasn’t my crush in my past life.


I just wanted to the truth of the feelings I thought I had for Thor on that day.


Because, you know?


Maybe these were false feelings of love that were my lingering affections from my past life?


If this was a mistaken love that was dragged out from my past life feelings, then I must shake it off.


But, if I was convinced that these were definite feelings I had for Thor, then I had to tell him next time. Even if nothing changed upon telling him.


I couldn’t move forward if I didn’t do at least that.


And I couldn’t give up on Thor…


Just because I remembered my past life, it didn’t mean I wasn’t already colored by the personality of Makia O’Drielle, and as Makia, I had to find out the answer for these feelings.


However, I was the only one who knew about the past life me. I respected her like a “mind neighbor,” and gratefully borrowed her memories and knowledge.


If there was any meaning to these memories, then it was without a doubt a “warning” for me.


——The blond man who killed us.


Now I could remember his face and words vividly.


And that was exactly why I knew now.


I was sure that man said “Maydare” to me. Was it possible that he crossed over into that world from this one and killed us?


Along with the legend of the Savior, it was certain that there was another world.


And the means to connect this world with the other world was “magic.” It was likely the extension of transference magic and summoning magic. That was tremendously difficult magic, but not impossible.


If that blond man knew that technique...There was a good chance that he was now back in Maydare.


If that was the case, then I must be on guard from now on. 


That man had said something very important.



“No matter how many times you’re reborn, I will kill you without fail.”


〇 

Clang clang...clang clang…


“...Ah.”


Staring absentmindedly at the outside scenery through the train window, lost in my thoughts, the old parchment recipe book on my lap fell to the ground.


I picked it up, already shifting my attention to reality. 


This was something Grandmother gave me before I left Deliafield.


I didn’t know who wrote it or when, but I remembered Grandmother telling me to make sure I mastered the recipes written in this book. And then, she told me to bring the magic basket that was a favorite of the “Scarlet Witch” to school.


I was feeling hungry right then, so I opened the basket and took out a salt apple, and as I bit into it, I turned the pages of the old parchment recipe book.


“Even children who hate vegetables love salt apples with grated carrots. Salt apple juice regulates the circulation of magical power, so it should be drunk every day. Pork beans with salt apples and honey is a taste that will take any man captive...Hmm.”


The pages that collected salt apple recipes were naturally all about the magical cooking of salt apples. Each and every one of them was mastered by Grandmother and Mother, and I ate them often. 


To sum it up, these were recipes that the witches who were born or married into the O’Drielle family were supposed to learn, and now it was my turn to inherit them.


The basics of magical cooking were drilled into me by Mother, so now it was time to master them while I was a student. The only thing I brought in the magic basket was plenty of salt apples.


Father had work, and Mother didn’t want to leave the house, so I headed to the royal capital Miladriede by myself. My uncle on my mother’s side was arranged to pick me up there.


Even so, this was my first train ride since I was reborn in this world.


Unlike the ones I rode in my past life, I was in a private compartment which I shared with strangers who came in one after another, but it also had a certain charm. There were means to get to the capital such as by ship or airship or other ways, but I chose the comfortable train ride even if it took longer.


One wouldn’t know by being in Deliafield, but because the Kingdom of Ruschia was a great magical power, the magical industry thrived and there were various types of transportation.



“Royal capital Miladriede, royal capital Miladriede.”


Oh, we’ve arrived. I brought my trunk down from the roof rack and took a deep breath.


My new life would begin today. I breathed in, filling my chest with anticipation.


“Hello and welcome, my adorable niece Miss Makia. It’s been a year!”


“Is that so? You’re the same as ever, Uncle Medite.”


The one who was waiting at the station for me was Mother’s younger brother, Sir Urbanus Medite. His deep green hair and snake-like eyes were just like Mother’s.


He was wearing a dark brown robe with a long hem and a large hat of the same color, along with his characteristic shady-looking monocle. He was twenty-eight years old this year, I believe. He was a professor at the Lune Ruschia Royal Magic School, single, adored me, his niece, and a weird uncle who was always grinning.


Incidentally, in the past Uncle charged in unannounced and got caught in a pitfall trap Thor and I set up in front of the mansion’s entrance as a measure against suspicious persons, and broke his bones.


Well, he was a pro at potions, so he effortlessly healed himself with his own medicine.


“You’re getting prettier and prettier every day, and you’ve gotten a lot taller. You’re completely a grown-up lady.”


“That might be thanks to my high heels. But I have grown five centimeters this year.”


“That’s plenty amazing. You used to be so small.”


“No, I don’t think I was that small…”


As I retorted back at Uncle who was blatantly showing a low position…


But, it was true. Not long ago, I was petite and scrawny, with a child-like face and figure. 


However, after Thor was gone, there was a time where I buried myself in studying for exams so much that I even forgot to eat, and I looked haggard.


My cheeks were hollow, and my skin, hair, and lips were all rough and neglected. When I looked at myself in my big mirror, I felt a violent shock when I saw that the red crystal earrings Thor gave me no longer suited me at all.


I couldn’t go on like this.


Thinking that, in order to get back on my feet, I ate a lot of healthy vegetables and meat, and I also drank a lot of milk. As a change of pace, I had Mother teach me to make magical dishes and I would make them myself. 


Most importantly, to regain my strength, I worked out in the heathland and the Salt Forest. I asked our old knight, Godwin, to train me and build up my strength. And then, I was able to give everything I had into studying for exams, which was nothing but good, so I wish I had done those things earlier.


I think the air about me had changed a little bit in just this past year, coinciding with my growing period.


Thanks to growing taller, my figure had become slender and more mature, and even my cutting board-like chest had swelled out in a feminine way.


My chin and the base of my throat became slightly thinner, and I still had girlish features, but there was no longer a childish feel to them. I properly learned how to put on makeup before going to magic school, and I was now carefully looking after my hair and skin. I even got used to wearing the high heeled shoes I hated.


Well, I was already a peerless beauty from the beginning, but I polished my beauty even more.


Because, when I met Thor again one day, I wanted to be someone who looked the best in the earrings he gave me. 


You were surprisingly a crybaby, Makia O’Drielle.


Maybe it was because I cried my lifetime’s worth of tears after Thor was gone, or because the amount of information within me increased after I recalled my past life, or because I simply grew up.


After that, I never cried again.






Comments

  1. I disagree with the kingdom's handling of matters. Especially considering the implications of the blonde man.
    From what I can tell they are assuming a person from another world who was brought into this world physically rather than through the cycle of reincarnation would be any good at anything, especially considering due to her memories of earth she may be unable to learn magic and end up being a "saint" surrounded by guards.
    And with the blond man it is implied that this has happened before, as he seemed to have not killed them for the first time, leading me to suspect that she very well may be a reincarnation of the original scarlet which who is associated with impossible love. It very well could be related to one of the "hero of ash"'s guardians which would make some semblance of sense as the hero was stated to have had guardians, and with the blonde man it seems like a case of history repeating itself until it reaches it's happy end.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog