Maydare Volume 1 Chapter 11 - The Descendant of the Worst Witch in the World (Part 2)

 A short part before shit really goes down in the next part



When we returned to the main hall, I was the center of attention, as expected.


The probing gazes of the chattering people were embarrassing.


In the midst of all this, Prince Gilbert marched over to us. He stood in front of Thor with an irritated expression and slapped him hard.


“What were you thinking, leaving Airi alone in front of all these people to go after another woman! How dare you disrespect her at such a critical time…!”


“...I deeply apologize, Your Highness.”


Thor solemnly, but sincerely, apologized.


In the midst of this, Airi defended Thor, saying, “Don’t blame Thor, Gil.”


“To Thor, his former master is more important than me.”


Her words were a little sad, which seemed to rouse Prince Gilbert’s anger again.


“It is the duty of a Guardian to put the Savior first and protect her by her side, Thor! Don’t think about other women. Do you know how much that hurt Airi…! You fool!”


“But, Your Highness--”


“How dare you talk back to me, you upstart from slavery! If we weren’t both Guardians, I’d cut you down!”


The nobility was buzzing. It was because the third prince exposed the fact that Thor used to be a slave. 


“Please wait, Your Highness!” Even if the other person was a prince, I couldn’t bear Thor being condemned for being born that way, and I couldn’t help but cut in. 


“I deeply apologize, Your Highness. It is, it is my fault. I ran out of the great hall, so Lord Thor was worried and chased after me. It is because we used to be family.”


I apologized and bowed deeply.


It was certainly quite a problem that Thor ran after me in that place.


It was a time for showing the bond between the Savior and the Guardians, for making a strong impression on the citizens, and for asking for their support. Even I understood that.


“But whatever Thor’s birth may be, his talent is unquestionable. I am sure that he will be of great help to Lady Airi.”


Prince Gilbert’s eyebrow twitched.


“The daughter of the O’Drielle house…”


His expression revealed his clear hatred.


The prince seemed to know that Thor was a former knight of the O’Drielle house.


“The descendant of that sinful ‘Scarlet Witch.’ An existence like you would only do Airi much harm and no good. In fact, you might even destroy our bond.”


“...Huh?”


I looked up without thinking.


“It was undoubtedly that witch who buried the ‘Savior of Fraxinus’ in the previous age. The daughter of the O’Drielle house has the same blood flowing through her veins. This wicked-looking woman might do some harm to our precious Airi!”


“...”


“You are to leave this place immediately. Do not come near Airi again!”


I was denounced in front of a large crowd of people and ordered to leave, but I couldn’t say anything back.


I knew that to say anything here would put Thor in an even more difficult position.


“Prince Gilbert, please retract those words. This person is my precious master.”


But Thor stepped forward and, glaring at the prince, told that to him without hesitation.


“You...you understand what those words mean, don’t you? It is the same as insulting Airi!”


“No, I would never disrespect Lady Airi. I will fulfill my duties. It is just that Lady Makia is even more special than that.”


“!?”


Those were words that must not be said in that place.


But Thor didn’t even hesitate.


Miss Airi’s brows knitted together, and she dropped her gaze slightly. She gripped her dress tightly.


“That…, that is an insult, Thor!”


Prince Gilbert grabbed Thor.


“Do you have no self-awareness as a Guardian!?”


“Please retract your insult towards Miss Makia O’Drielle.”


“You bastard…!”


The people around us were buzzing. Everyone was supporting the prince’s opinion and condemning Thor.


They were saying that this sort of selfishness was not allowed for those with the position of Guardian. That he was just a slave and didn’t know his place.


Miss Airi tried to stop the two of them, but neither Prince Gilbert nor Thor attempted to take back their words, their own opinions clashing with each other.


“Please stop, Thor.”


So I commanded Thor myself.


“Prince Gilbert is very right to be anxious. You must take responsibility for your words.”


“...Milady.”


I understood that Thor was trying to protect my dignity.


However, the more Thor tried to defend me, the more trust he lost as a Guardian. The fact that he was originally a slave added to that, giving people an excuse to condemn him.


If that was the case, then I should become the villain and obediently step aside.


I suddenly put a meaningful smile on my face.


“Certainly, you were my slave, Thor. Even though I worked you so hard, you still want to show your loyalty to me, how valiant…”


“Milady?”


Thor was shocked that I would say such a thing, but I took off the earrings he gave me and handed them to him.


“But I don’t need you or these anymore.”


Thor stared at them, speechless for a while, and then,


“...Are you going to throw me away too?”


“...”


“Understood. If that is your order, milady.”


He quietly accepted the earrings.


His sad eyes, and his words, were very shocking to me.


He was a boy who originally came to the O’Drielle family after being sold into slavery by his parents in a foreign country.


Immediately after the Mark of the Guardians appeared, he was adopted into the Bigreitz family, and his ties to the O’Drielle family were severed.


His will was irrelevant. It might have meant that he was “thrown away” by someone he trusted.


Being thrown away created a deep wound in Thor’s heart.


Even so, I made no response, bowed once more to those present, and quietly left the scene.


Now I understood how Father felt at that time when he let go of Thor and saw him off.


I truly didn’t want to let go of him. But the more I learned about how important his role was, the more I realized that Thor’s single-minded devotion to us was interfering with his loyalty towards the Savior, who that devotion was supposed to be directed towards in the first place.


Thor was in the position where he had to care for and protect Miss Airi first and foremost.


There must not be affection or loyalty to another person.




Comments

  1. That was a really shitty move Makia...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( Ok. Come Nero. Take his place. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so bad for Thor... I hope he understands her decision

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog