Maydare Volume 1 Chapter 1 - Makia and Thor (Part 1)

 I usually don't really like splitting up chapters when they aren't that long, but what do you guys think? Do you prefer reading the chapter in full (which will take longer to translate) or reading it in parts (which will be somewhat faster)? Let me know in the comments.


Previous | TOC | Next


Maydare.


That was the name of this world that someone first shouted.



The great southern kingdom of Ruschia.


Even the heathlands of Deliafield, located at its eastern end, had a beautiful morning glow. 


On this day, I, who had been studying magic since early morning, unusually neglected my magic book and was idly looking outside the window. 


I dreamed of a strange world last night.


A dream about a spineless and boring girl who held herself back for her female friend and couldn’t even confess to the boy she liked.


“What a stupid girl. You should have given a love potion to the boy you like and steal him away from your rival. That’s what I would have done.”


She was an “unknown someone” in the dream, but my deepest condolences to her. In the end, it was an abrupt bad end where everyone is killed by a mysterious man who appeared out of nowhere, and something about that really did feel like a dream.


“Makia, are you awake?”


“Ah, yes, Father.”


The one who knocked on the door and poked their head in was a refined gentleman with wine-red hair and beard.


He was my father, Elliot O’Drielle. 


“Today is your eleventh birthday. I was just thinking of going to the market, but perhaps we can also buy a present together.”


“Of course! It’s like I rose early for that.”


I jumped down from the protrusion by the window, stood in front of my mirror leaning against the wall, and started making preparations excitedly in that way.


My name is Makia O’Drielle. Today I was an eleven-year-old small witch.


Around my almond-shaped eyes with the corners turned upwards, were framed by tight double eyelids and long eyelashes, preciously embracing our family’s distinctive “sea-colored” eyes.


My long, rose-colored hair was decorated with a ribbon. Its luster rippled beautifully when it swayed, and Mother said it was like velvet.


I was a terribly beautiful girl, if I do say so myself, but I get a wrinkle between my eyebrows when I had a straight face, which made me look somewhat cheeky.


“Nii…”


That was why when I smiled on purpose, it instantly became a nihilistic smile that looked devious.


When I raised the corners of my mouth with my fingers and forced a wide smile, my bright white and perfectly straight teeth just looked fake and scary. It was all due to brushing my teeth with Grandmother’s special toothpaste every day. 


Thanks to that, everyone said this.


With this, you’ll be a villainous witch becoming of the O’Drielle family in the future.


“Okay. Preparations complete.”


I put on a thin black robe over my dark red dress and checked the silver ring on the middle finger of my right hand. 


And then, I flew out of my room and dashed down the spiral staircase of our mansion. My mother was at the door.


“Makia, are you sure you haven’t forgotten anything? If you get lost, call Freddy. If you get kidnapped because you’re so cute, please pinch them with all of your strength.”


“Yes, Mother. I’ll pinch them until they get a burn.”


Mother took out a cherry-colored lipstick from her breast pocket and applied it firmly to my small lips. This was my good luck charm when I headed out.


Then, she kissed my cheek and whispered into my ear.


“Listen, my dear. Do not be unreasonable with your father because it is your birthday. But, if there is something that you truly desire, firmly negotiate for it. An excellent witch is a woman who always gets what she wants. That’s how I got your father as well.”


“Aww, I want Father too.”


“No, my dear, Father is Mother’s husband. But, this morning’s card-reading tells me that Makia will find what she wants, so I’m waiting eagerly to see what you will bring home.”


What I want, huh…


I got into the carriage, and as I looked out over the vast land that continued on endlessly, I wondered what that was.


This wild land was called “Deliafield.” The mansion with a pointed roof like a spear, standing alone in the middle of this land, was the residence of we, the O’Drielle family.


The O’Drielle family, the baron house that was entrusted with Deliafield, was a family of venerable magicians. I was the only daughter.


My father and mother are both a magician and a witch, respectively.


I would also enroll into a magic school when I turn sixteen, and after I graduate, I would work in the royal palace as a royal magician for a while. And then, I would eventually succeed my father and become a “baroness.” (TN: Kanji is literally "witch baron")


“Is there anything you want, Makia?”


“I’d like a new mandrake seedling, Father. Also, the finest dewdrops of daybreak and rainbow spider silk, and chocolates and caramels and—”


I was swinging my legs and counting on my fingers the ingredients for the magic potions I had been practicing recently, as well as my favorite sweets. Father smiled perplexedly and tilted his head.


“I’ll buy you those things even when it’s not your birthday. You really do love magic, don’t you, Makia. When I was your age, I hated studying magic… Did you wake up early this morning to study?”


“Because magic is the best! The more I do it, the more I’m able to do it. I definitely don’t want to fail magic school either, so I’m working hard starting now.”


“Ahaha! Why are you worrying about exams now? With your talent, you will be able to pass on your first try without worrying about it.”


“Mmm. I don’t know, but I feel worried.”


I wonder why. Since I was little, I had a strange anxiety about taking the exams for magic school.


The boring girl in my dream last night was also worried about the exams at some school.


Huh, maybe it was expressing my unconscious mind.


“You are gifted with a special talent. Our family is descended from the famous ‘Scarlet Witch,’ but it seems that you, Makia, have strongly inherited the power of that witch, just as Grandmother judged. That is why it’s fine for you to leave your studies sometimes and ask for what you really want. They say that witch got what she wanted no matter the cost.”


“What I really want...Umm…”


I crossed my arms and wriggled my small body back and forth as I contemplated.


My father said this, but I was currently absorbed in magic, and I had enough dolls, dresses and shoes.


But, I actually did have one wish. 


I had it for as long as I could remember. A strange longing of “I want to meet someone.”


I don’t know where that person was, who were they, or why I wanted to meet them.


Far from living in the countryside, I lived in the middle of nowhere, and since I had no siblings, it might be that I just wanted a friend my age.



Previous | TOC | Next

Comments

  1. Thank you for the translation!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think reading in parts would be nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fine with parts but more than 3 or 4 will become annoying

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog