Maydare Volume 5 Side Story: Makia, Corresponding with Thor.



XX/01


Stupid Thor,


How dare you go on the business trip with Father to the capital, overcoming my tearful restraints? 


I won’t forgive you. You’ve failed as a knight when you leave my side for a week.


I will find and hire a more excellent, handsome, and kind knight to replace you.


XX/02


Dear Miss Makia,


By tearful restraint, do you mean that thing where you mixed sleeping pills into my breakfast, destroyed the carriage, and dug a deep pit in front of the front door? I almost died.


I’m wondering, is there a better-looking, more excellent, and kinder knight than me?


XX/03


Thor,


I was lying. There is no better or more handsome knight than you. There might be knights who are kinder than you, though.


Ah, I’m so bored.


I don’t have anyone to play with today, so I talked to my reflection in a puddle.


Tell me something interesting.


XX/04


Dear Miss Makia,


Please stop playing such a lonely game…


Today, I visited the client’s mansion with the master.


The request was quickly resolved, and we were given this fancy pastry called a lemon pie. It was a sweet and sour cake with plenty of fluffy meringue. I think you would like it, Milady.


Unlike Deliafield, the capital is full of people. It has everything, but I don’t really like it here.


XX/05


Dear Thor,


Really!? If the request is resolved, then it would be nice if you can come back even just a day earlier.


I’ll explain it to Father for you. So how about it?


Also, that lemon pie sounds delicious.


I’m looking forward to the souvenirs. Oh, I can’t wait for you to come home.


XX/06


Dear Milady,


Unfortunately, lemon pies don’t last long. I’ll bring back another souvenir.


Also, I’m sorry…


The client has requested the master to do one more job. It doesn’t look like we’ll be returning any time soon.


It seems like our stay in the capital will be extended by about a week.


XX/07


Ehhhhhhhhhh!?


No waaaaaaaaaaaaay!


You idiot~~that’s awful~~that’s too awful!


I thought you’d be back soon!


I was marking the days on the calendar while I was waiting for you every day!


And not having you back after a week is like dragging out my suffering!


I’m an ant drowning in melted sugar. A frog drying out in the wilderness in the middle of summer.


That’s it. I’m binge eating the salt apple bread I baked for you.


You can be sure there’s not going to be any left for you.


XX/08


Dear Milady, who I have no idea what you’re talking about,


Please stop binge eating the salt apple bread. You’ll get sick…


I’m a bit worried about you. Also, thank you for baking bread for me.


XX/09


To Thor,


I got sick. 


I’m lying in bed right now. I want to die.


So come home early. Your precious Miss Makia is going to die of a stomachache…


XX/10


To my precious Miss Makia,


You’re lying. I was a bit concerned, but there’s no way you would get an upset stomach from something like that.


Even if you did wreck your stomach, the O’Drielle house has a large amount of potions that can be used to cure you.


I can see through you. It’s no use acting meek.


XX/11


Tch. Thor, you aren’t cute at all.


Don’t tell me that you feel more comfortable in the capital, Thor?


It’s not like you’ve become a city-obsessed knight, right?


I know that the client was a woman.


I really hope she didn’t look you all over and started to desire you. Or say something like, “You can stay here forever. I’ll give you anything you want. Ufufu.”


I won’t forgive her, I won’t forgive her…


I’ll curse her, I’ll curse her…


XX/12


Milady, take care of yourself.


You don’t have to be so frantic, I’ll be back the day after tomorrow.


Oh, the mistress even asked to adopt me, but the master refused. It’s good that I wasn’t taken away (laughs).


By the way, what would you like as a souvenir? There are three options.


  1. Pistachio chocolate pudding that’s popular in the capital

  2. A lemon-colored handkerchief that you don’t seem to have much of

  3. The latest issue of the magic magazine that’s hard to find in the middle of nowhere that is Deliafield


XX/13


Aaaaaaaaaaah. Aaaaaaaaaaah.


I knew that woman would be up to something like that (cursing her).


…But you will come back to me, right?


I want to see you, Thor~. I want to see you so much that I’m trembling.


Oh, for the souvenir, please give me the full set of three. The best souvenir is for you to return safely as soon as possible. 


Why can’t it be tomorrow morning right now. Aah–


Because I’m lonely. Because I’m human.


Makia


XX/14


Milady, take care of yourself.


What you’re saying is rather terrifying and is making me shiver.


I will return to Deliafield later tonight.


Please wait just a little more.


Thor


〇 


Sprawled out on my bed, I looked up at the ceiling.


“Thor, you said you’d be back by the end of the day…you’re late!”


It had been two weeks since Thor left me behind and followed Father to work.


I corresponded with Thor on a daily basis.


Freddy, Father’s crow spirit, would deliver our letters to each other day after day.


After waiting devotedly without sleeping, I was roused by the sound of a carriage reaching the mansion and ran downstairs in my nightgown.


“Oh, Makia, you still haven’t slept yet?”


“Mother, Thor’s back! And Father too!”


“Oh my, oh my. Father’s second now, huh.”


And so, I opened the mansion door much quicker than Mother.


“Makia, I’m back now!”


Father spread his arms out. “Later!” I cheerfully shouted and passed right by him, then leapt upon the dark-haired boy who was following behind him with my arms outstretched,


“Thor!!!”


I hugged him tightly.


Looking half-resigned, Thor just hugged me.


“Um, Milady, I haven’t taken a bath yet. Also, Master is looking at us greedily, so please give him a hug too…”


“But, but, it’s been two whole weeks! I thought even one week was unacceptable, and it got extended by another week! I was going crazy every day!”


“I could tell by reading your letters. You’re at your limit, Milady. Did you miss me that much?”


Smiling ironically, Thor tilted his head to look down at me.


When I saw his provocative expression, I too became calm and collected.


"That's silly. You know some people have a blanket they always cuddle with when they go to bed? If that suddenly disappeared, you would feel lonely and uneasy, right? It's the same thing."


Despite saying that, I firmly grabbed Thor and dragged him to my room in the mansion, refusing to let him go. Father watched us greedily until the very end.


As for Thor, he let out a long sigh and just went along with what I was doing to him. 


“...You always treat me carelessly and drag me around, but once we are apart for a while, you come back acting all cute and doting. What's up with that? Are you a cat or something?"


Thor plopped down onto my room's sofa without any particular permission and loosened his collar. 


He didn't act like a servant at all, but I didn't really mind.


In fact, I made tea for him.


"You know how they say you don't know what you have until it's gone? I think that's it. Having you around had become such a normal part of my everyday life. Anyway, my days were unbearably boring without you. And I kept failing with my magic too.”


"Now that you mention it, there are a lot of traces of failed magic circles around the mansion's perimeter. Whenever we ride the carriage through there, it feels pretty tense. Your failed magic circles sometimes just explode on their own.


Please make sure to properly clean up after your failed magic circles, Thor said with a look of exasperation.


I usually make sure to clean up properly, but I had really been feeling off for the past two weeks. I needed to repent, repent.


"Well, I understand what you mean too. Because I'm always keeping an eye on you, I've been worried sick for the past two weeks that you might do something foolish. If you drowned in the lake again, who would rescue you? You're such a terrible swimmer.”


"What are you talking about? I’m careful about that kind of thing. I didn’t even go near the lake,"


About two months ago, I nearly drowned in the lake and was rescued by Thor. As I remembered that incident, I handed Thor a cup of tea.


…But, I get it now.


I had thought that I was the only one feeling lonely, but it turned out that Thor had also been worried about me.


“Fufu, so you feel the same way as me, Thor. You don’t like the city in the first place, right?”


"That's right. Crowds make me feel sick. I prefer Deliafield, where there's nothing around."


“...It’s been tough for you. Thank you for your hard work.”


Now, I started stroking the hair of Thor, sitting on the sofa, saying "there, there."


As I was patting his head, Thor suddenly remembered something and let out a small chuckle.


"Well…I have to admit that receiving your letters every day was something I looked forward to. Though your love was so heavy that I got a little scared at times. I even checked them thoroughly, thinking they might be some sort of cursed letters.”


"What are you talking about? I wouldn't curse you. You're my knight."


“That’s right. …I’m Milady’s favorite.”


I know that.


Thor looked up at me with a smug smile that seemed to say that.


It got on my nerves when he got like this, but…


I also thought, Oh, this is my Thor.



For a while after that, I kept Thor by my side all the time, as if to make up for the lack of him during those two weeks, whether I went out or stayed at home, from morning till night.


I enjoyed each and every souvenir and story that Thor brought back with him.


Thor was also watching over my actions carefully.




And as expected, when we're together, there's never a dull moment, and I feel at ease.


When we were together, we felt invincible and unbeatable against anything.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog