Maydare Volume 5 Side Story: Uncle Medite, Pledging to Poison Thor for His Beloved Niece's Sake.


My name is Urbanus Medite.


I am a poison magician and a teacher at Lune Ruschia Magic School. (By the way, I’m in charge of teaching Potions.)


Today was the twelfth birthday of my niece, who I adored dearly.


I had just arrived in Deliafield with a bunch of gifts that she had begged me for.


“Hey, Miss Makia, what’s this scrawny little kid doing here?”


When I arrived at the O’Drielle mansion, I pushed up my monocle at a very good-looking dark-haired boy whom my niece, Makia, wanted to introduce to me.


“What do you mean, what, Uncle? This is Thor, our pupil. We bought him on the black market.”


“...”


Miss Makia said that like it was natural. My niece, as expected of a witch from the infamous O’Drielle family, seemed to be buying slaves on the black market and having them serve her.


Moreover, even though he was just a kid, he had an allure and poisonous air that frightened even me.


He might be able to fool the kindhearted Baron O’Drielle and Miss Makia, but he couldn’t fool my nose as a poison magician. He was a devilish little brat who knew he was good-looking and used that to his advantage. I’m sure he planned to butter up Miss Makia and rise to a higher position.


Damn it, I can’t stand this!


I will protect Miss Makia, who I’ve doted on since she was little!


“Thor, this is Sir Urbanus Medite. He’s my uncle. He’s an excellent poison magician and a teacher at magic school. He tutors me regularly.”


“Milady, is it okay that this person is being so blatantly hostile towards me?”


“It’s fine, it’s fine. He just doesn’t like handsome guys and promising young people.”


“Heh…that sounds kinda messed up, as a person.”


That little brat named Thor looked at me and snorted.




That brat was bad news. The fact that I had a strong reaction against him meant that he was extremely toxic.


I need to get him away from Miss Makia somehow…


“Hey, Uncle! Please stop messing with Thor! It’s so immature!”


I complained about the tea the little brat made, tripped him when he walked right in front of me, and blatantly tried to bump into him on purpose. He then complained to Miss Makia, and I got yelled at her.


If that’s the case, then I have no choice but to poison…


“What are you doing, Uncle! You’re trying to poison Thor, aren’t you? I hate you, Uncle, for tormenting Thor!”


“Whaaaaaaat!”


I was about to mix some homemade poison into the little brat’s drink when Miss Makia and him caught me in the act.


Miss Makia now hated me and wouldn’t talk to me anymore. Even when I dangled the poisonous herbs and potions she wanted in front of her, she ignored me. I want to cry…




“Excuse me, Sir Medite.”


“...Tch. It’s you, huh.”


That brat named Thor brought tea to the room where I was staying.


I made a persistent shooing motion. Upon that, he knitted his brows and shrugged his shoulders.


“It seems that you despise me a lot, Sir Medite. Did I do something to wrong you?”


“Hah. You may have successfully cozied up to the O’Drielle family, but you can’t deceive my eyes. You’re nothing but poison to Miss Makia.”


“Pardon? What do you mean by poison?”


“That child will become a splendid witch of the O’Drielle family. Her talent is something I found promising. What will you do when she becomes obsessed with you and loses interest in magic!?”


Hearing my words, the little brat burst into laughter like he couldn’t hold it back.


“Ahahahaha! That won’t happen, Sir Medite. She really enjoys competing with me. As long as we’re together, she will never lose her passion for magic. Ever.”


“...”


“Why are you so obsessed with your niece, anyways? Is it because you’re single? Or is it because you have a taste for young girls at your age?”


“You, you shitty little brat…!”


I really wanted to beat him up, but if I made Miss Makia hate me any more than she did now, there would be no hope of recovery for me, so I just coughed and held myself back.


“Miss Makia is special to me.”


And so, for some reason, I started talking about Miss Makia and me.


In the first place, I was the youngest child of the Medite family, and no matter how talented I was, I would never be able to take over as head of the family. So, with few options for my future, I set my sights on being a teacher at Lune Ruschia Magic School.


But I also felt an emptiness. As magicians, we all wanted to make great achievements.


We all wanted to engrave our names into history as great magicians.


At that time, my sister, who married into the O’Drielle family, gave birth to Miss Makia.


Miss Makia had a pure interest in magic from an early age. Seeing her, the emptiness and conflict within me gradually disappeared, and the desire to make this child into a splendid witch welled up within me. I thought that surely this was why I was going to become a teacher at magic school…


“When she was little, she would follow me around and call me, ‘Uncy, uncy.’ She was so cute. She would ask me with a pure look in her eyes, saying Uncy, teach me this and Uncy, teach me that…”


“I’m pretty sure you just wanted to be called ‘Uncy’...”


The little brat was put off, but I didn’t care.


I downed the tea he made, stood up, and then made my impassioned speech.


“In my opinion, Makia is a genius! She will become a fine witch and engrave her name into the magical history of the Kingdom of Maydare! In order for that to happen…in order for that to happen…I have to eliminate obstacles like you…!”


“You’re still saying that?”


The little brat let out a grown-up-sounding sigh and laughed like he was looking down on me. He was really pissing me off.


“Sir Medite, I certainly am a little brat with a personality more twisted than Milady knows. Surely you are the one who sees through me more than her.”


“Hah?”


“But be rest assured. I also want to follow Young Mistress Makia and see how far she will go as a witch noble.”


…I really couldn’t like this little brat at all.


It hadn’t been that long since he met Miss Makia, and yet he was talking like he knew her.


But it was only when he was talking about her that his twisted face disappeared and he looked more like a boy of his age. He himself probably didn’t realize it, but…


“Oh, Thor, you’re here! Don’t bother with Uncle and join me in magic training!”


“Is it another experiment in some sort of mysterious spell. It’s not my responsibility if it fails or explodes.”


“Don’t be silly, it’ll succeed this time for sure!”


And so, Miss Makia took young Thor with her. It was frustrating, but with the little brat here, she seemed to be enjoying magic more than ever.


Having rivals the same age as you was certainly something spurring. I, too, was taken down a peg when I met a true genius like His Highness Ulysses at magic school…




After that, I often got caught deep pits in front of the mansion and other dirty traps that blocked my path and broke my bones, only when I visited the O’Drielle mansion.


Miss Makia was just doing magic training, and she apologized with tears in her eyes every time, but Thor was always grinning behind her back, so it was obvious that this was all his doing. I will never forgive him. I’m going to poison him one day!


So, a secret battle between me and him, between men, was being played out in Deliafield, but…


One day, Thor was chosen by the stars to leave the O’Drielle family.


At that time, Miss Makia fell into a deep depression, and I could hardly stand to look at her sad and disheveled appearance back then.


I regretted that I should have kicked that little brat out as soon as possible.


Since he couldn’t even stay by her side…


Since he was leaving her behind like this and going far away…


I couldn’t comfort Miss Makia.


All I could do was stick around as best I could and watch over her, who entered magic school.


Until those two reunited one day.


Until then, I intended to raise the niece I was so proud of into a splendid witch who even Thor wouldn’t recognize. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog