Maydare Volume 1 Chapter 5 - The Entrance Ceremony (Part 1)



It was the day of the entrance ceremony. I changed into my uniform in my room and fixed my hair in front of a mirror.


For my long, glossy rose-colored hair, I used【Fire】and【Wind】magic to contain it in a hot wind, curled the tips of my hair inwards, tied half of it up with a black ribbon, and put on my red crystal earrings. My lips became as lustrous as berries after I applied red lipstick, creating my witch-like charm and smile more striking. My brand-new uniform also fit my body perfectly. With this, I was ready for the entrance ceremony.


“Lapis, are you ready?”


“Yes, thanks to you.”


Lapis was in completely good health now. The uniform also suited her well.


The magical prostheses seemed to be able to maintain camouflage mode, but I had to help her out at some point. Incidentally, Lapis’ uniform ribbon was tied with a granny knot, so I retied it. 


The entrance ceremony was a tradition held in the cathedral located within Lune Ruschia Magic School. 


The giant stained glass windows and the pillars that stood in rows like trees in a forest were magnificent. 


The stained glass windows seemed to depict the ten gods named in the Maydare creation myth and their myths. The light streaming in cast the cathedral in shades of blue, red, and green, giving it a solemn air.


There was an old altar ahead. A huge mirror and a “tree branch” protected by a glass dome were enshrined there. 


I knew what that was. That was the symbol of the Holy Land, a branch of the World Tree Vabilophos.


It was worshipped by the oldest and most major religion in Maydare, “Vabelism”


Apparently, this Lune Ruschia Magic School used to be a Vabelist monastery, and the cathedral still retained that atmosphere.


Although, despite this sacred atmosphere, the new students were buzzing with youthful energy. 


Normal students, who still didn’t have the majesty and solemnity of witches and magicians yet.


“Silence! Anyone who speaks a word from now on will be assigned to cleaning duty in the underground labyrinth!”


An athletic-looking witch in a yellow jersey threatened us with a magical megaphone in hand. Thanks to that, the cathedral fell completely silent. Almost like a funeral.


If I remember correctly, that witch was the instructor for Magical Athletics, Francesca Lila. She was a former soldier of the royal magical army and known to be very strict. By the way, underground labyrinth...what was that?


“Headmaster Pan of Lune Ruschia Magic School will address you all. Without further ado, Headmaster, if you please.”


The huge mirror enshrined at the altar was moved a little closer by the teachers.


Just when we were wondering what was going on, the head of a giant goat appeared out of the mirror with a whoosh, and everyone almost screamed reflexively. Or rather, there were students who actually screamed.


It had magnificent horns that were long, black, and curved. Goggling eyes that were like marbles.


“That’s the famous Headmaster Pan. I believe he is a goat Great Spirit.”


“I heard that he used to serve the ‘White Sage,’ who is the founder of Lune Ruschia Magic School.”


Lapis whispered, and I felt Professor Lila’s gaze moving towards us. Oh no, I thought, and shut my mouth. At that moment,


“Aaachoooo!”


A tremendous sneeze sounded across the cathedral, triggering a chain reaction of protective wall magic that protected the stained glass windows, which were part of our cultural heritage. However, the students at the front were knocked down.


We were safe because we were at the back, though.


“As, as expected of the Great Spirit of【Wind】, Pan. Even just a sneeze has that much power…”


Yes. That sneeze just now was from Headmaster Pan, whose face was the only thing sticking out of the mirror.


“Excuse me. I have been sneezing quite a lot in spite of myself since yesterday. By the way, the reason why I can only show my face from the mirror is that my body is too big to fit inside the cathedral...Hee!”


The students braced themselves, since it looked like he was about to sneeze again, but it ended in a false alarm.


His voice was refined and dandy-like, but he was a dangerous headmaster in many ways…


“Now, new students, welcome to Lune Ruschia Magic School. I am Pan Faunus, the headmaster of Lune Ruschia.”


Finally smoothing things over, the headmaster began to speak.


“This world is Maydare, a world created by a single world tree and ten creator gods, that is, the ‘primeval magicians.’ Over the course of this long history, numerous great magicians have influenced and changed this world and nation. You are the bearers of the next generation, magicians in the making. Let us come to learn the essence of magic by working hard, encouraging each other, and sometimes competing with each other.”


The light from the stained glass shone down on us more intensely, as though emphasizing Headmaster Pan’s words. As though to say, Welcome to this school. 


“This world is very beautiful. On the other side of this beauty, youthful magic is living.”


Concluding with those words, the headmaster finished his short address.


Yes. This world truly was beautiful. Because there was magic in it.


I felt that it was somewhat foolish for him to talk with just his head outside the mirror...And then he just went right back in. Huh, headmaster, that’s all?


“Next, the representative of the new students will give an address. Ranking number one in the entrance exams, Nero Pachelbel!”


Forgetting the impact of the headmaster, the students started whispering. My attention went there at once.


As a matter of fact, Uncle had told me secretly that I came in second for the entrance exams.


They actually didn’t tell you where you stood in the rankings, but everyone knew who was at the top, whether they liked it or not. Because they were the ones who give the welcome address at the entrance ceremony.


Soon after, a platinum blond male student quickly appeared on stage.


“Oh, that kid.”


I remembered him. It was the boy I saw through the fountain yesterday.


But, he had brown eyes now, not the magenta-colored eyes I saw yesterday.


The kid came to a stop in front of the microphone.


“...Let us do our best. For this harsh, relentless, school life.”


And then he quickly returned to his seat.


Eeeeeeeh, that was it for his address to the new students!? It’s filled with nothing but grim resolve, though?


From the goat headmaster in the mirror to the taciturn new student representative, magic school really was strange.


“I heard that kid has a commoner background.”


“Whoa, he must be a genius then.”


Even though we were told not to chat, the students had already forgotten that and were busy talking.


That was how rare it was for a commoner to be at the top of the class. There was a difference in the starting points of being born into a magician family and going from commoner to magician. 


If unlike me, he came all the way here from nothing, then that was truly amazing.


Therefore, I, who was in second place, had my fighting spirit lit again.


Nero Pachelbel. I will remember that name well.






Comments

  1. Hello, there.
    I am Fleeting from Fans Translations group (https://www.novelupdates.com/group/fans-translations/). I would like to have you join us. We have around 8 ongoing novels and a large reader base which is waiting to try out your novel.

    You can reach out to us by email or https://fanstranslations.com/contact/

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Nero! My fav character!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog