Maydare Volume 6 Chapter 9 - Reminiscence (4) ~The Demon Child~



“...Mmm. I guess this will do.”


I put my pointy hat back on again and again and stared at myself in the mirror.


My youthful appearance hadn’t changed in years.


The Black Demon King said that people with high magical power didn’t grow old after a certain age.


I liked the way I looked, but unlike what others said, I didn’t cling to my youth nor did I kill young girls to use them as ingredients for spells in order to stay young.


In short, I hadn’t done anything in particular to improve my beauty. Rather, I think I was unconcerned about my looks for a woman.


However, it wasn’t until I met the Black Demon King that I began to care about my appearance.


Whenever I chose a hat or dress, I was always thinking about whether or not the Black Demon King would like it, or whether he would compliment me. So to some extent, I also had the innocence of a maiden in love.


“...Haa.”


However, I took off my hat and let out a small sigh.


Even if I put my hat on my head and took it off again and again, even if I adjusted my appearance like this, the Black Demon King’s heart wouldn’t be disturbed in the slightest.


Because…


“I never thought that man would have a wife.”


Haaaaa~~. I sighed again.


I found out a little after the Black Demon King’s visit.


I straddled my broom in high spirits and visited the Black Demon King’s castle once again with excitement. But it was there I received a terrible shock.


The Black Demon King already had a precious queen!


And he introduced her very politely and lovingly!


Well, it made sense…He was the king of a nation, and he had already been living for decades, so there was nothing strange about him having a queen. It wasn’t as though he holed himself up in a forest all alone like me.


What made me a fool was that I still visited that nation many times.


I went to see Torc many times.


And I understood very well.


Unlike me, who was in love with him, the Black Demon King was only interested in my magical powers, not me. 


Haaaaaaa~.


After letting out another heavy sigh, I shook off my lovesickness and straddled my broom.


Then, I shot through the sky at breakneck speed and headed towards the country of demons in the northernmost part of the world.




The country of demons.


It was a paradise for demons, sealed in snow and ice, created by the Black Demon King Torc Twilight using his unique spatial magic.


Every time I came here, I compared my magic with Torc’s.


Basically, we threw our magic at each other.


Until now, there was no one who was able to withstand our magic. As a result, there were some spells that were difficult to improve, and some that couldn’t be developed.


By accepting each other’s magic, we were able to study it, find problems, consult with each other, and develop breakthroughs.


From the outside, it looked like we were having a big fight.


Today, as with every day, great magic was exploding violently, shaking the land of this country and causing avalanches.


Whenever I visited this country, there would be an evacuation order issued to the demon residents. It truly caused a big commotion.


Even so, the Black Demon King welcomed me. That was because I was the only one who could take on his magic with my own body.


It couldn’t be helped. There was no other way to get his attention.




“Oh my, Lady Scarlet Witch. I’m sorry you had to see me in such an unsightly outfit…”


“D-Don’t worry about that. Just sleep. I was only asked to give a name to your new baby.”


“Oh my…I’m so grateful to have such a famous naming witch here.”


I also had interactions with Torc’s lawful wife “Sheeve,” a half-demon woman.


A child was born to Torc and Sheeve the other day, and they hurriedly decided to give the child a name.


Sheeve, holding the newborn baby in her arms, seemed to have a very sacred air around her.


Was this what a mother was?


Sheeve was a beautiful half-demon girl with long black hair and beast ears. Of course, she was much younger than me, but she looked far more mature.


She tried to get off the bed while still holding the baby.


“You can just stay in bed, Sheeve,” I hurried towards her.


I looked at the baby in her arms. He was sleeping soundly.


He looked like a black furry puppy, probably because of the demon blood he inherited from Sheeve. He was a boy. He was really adorable…


“You really did a great job, Sheeve.”


“...Yes. I gave birth to our child safely, Lord Torc.”


Torc and Sheeve looked at each other with relieved expressions on their faces. From what I heard, it was a very difficult birth.


Apparently, up until now, Sheeve’s babies had all been stillborn, and this was the first time that she gave birth to a child without issue.


Somehow, his expression was different from the Torc I knew. It was full of soft affection and distinct happiness.


My chest stung. He would never look at me like this.


More than envy or jealousy, I felt empty, because it made me realize that I didn’t fit into that framework and was alone. The emptiness quietly assaulted my heart.


But I didn’t hate this girl named Sheeve. She always welcomed me warmly every time I visited this country.


“Okay, I’m going to name him now.”


“...Ah, please go ahead.”


This was the first time Torc was going to see me naming someone.


I was a little nervous, but I fixed my gaze on the baby, who had not yet been blessed with a “name.”


Then, I took out my well-used wand from my pocket and held it in front of my face.


“The father is Torc…the mother is Sheeve…a child…with the blood of a black demon beast…”


I spoke slowly, as though tracing this child’s surface information.


“...the clan of dusk…Twilight…”


In this way, the information about the baby was confirmed, and the best name was gradually deduced for them. The blessings would descend.



“This child’s name is…Skroot.”



Sometimes, a naming witch would see the fate of the baby the moment she gave them a name. I sensed that this child named Skroot was going to play a very important role in the family in the future.


“Skroot. This child’s name is Skroot…!”


Sheeve looked at the child in her arms and chanted his name over and over again. 


“Yes, that’s right, Sheeve. He is sure to become a child with a great role to play. I sensed that his fate would affect the fate of the Twilight clan. Sheeve, you gave birth to a precious child.”


“Lady Scarlet Witch, it is an honor…!”


Overcome with emotion, a tear trailed down Sheeve’s cheek as she held her baby.


Torc also hugged Sheeve’s shoulders and looked lovingly at his beloved wife and newly-named child. 


“...”


What was it like to have a child with someone you love?


I didn’t know. I couldn’t.


However, when I saw the expressions on Torc and Sheeve’s faces, even I could understand how precious that was.


Right in front of me, there was a father, mother, and child. The picture of a family nestling close together.


It was so brilliant that I was envious.


Suddenly, I recalled my grandmother and parents, who passed away a long time ago.


Even I once had a family like that.


But now, I didn’t have anyone I could call family.




After that, Torc returned to his office, and I watched the baby in Sheeve’s arms without getting tired of it.


“Babies are so cute, aren’t they?”


I was obsessed with the baby.


I was told that I could touch him, so I stroked his fluffy ears and lightly touched his beast-like nose. The baby smelled like sweet milk, and everything was soft.


“Um, do you find him…disgusting?”


“Huh? Why?”


“...He looks just like an animal…and he doesn’t look human.”


“...”


“But, he isn’t a complete demon either…”


Sheeve’s melancholic yellow eyes wavered as she looked down at the baby in her arms. 


The baby also had the same eye color as her.


The half-blooded children of humans and demons were said to be taboo around here, and I heard that Sheeve suffered a lot because of that.


“He’s so cute. How can I be disgusted by him? Besides, I’m the one who named him. I’m going to dote on him like he’s my own grandson from now on,” I put my hand on my chest and declared.


Because for me, humans and demons weren’t so different.


Even if it was a human, if they were hostile to me and harmed me, then they were my enemy, and if they were kind to me, they would be my favorite even if they were a demon.


“Sheeve, don’t you hate that someone like me named your child?”


“That’s…! Of course not.”


Sheeve shook her head. And then, she divulged the sadness in her heart to me.


“I’m worried about this child’s future. I fear that he will end up all alone, unable to fit in with humans or demons like me… But, I felt relieved when you gave him his name, Lady Scarlet Witch. Ah, this child’s future will surely be bright.”


After saying that, Sheeve started crying again.


She must be genuinely worried about her child’s future.


I considered the feelings of the mother who gave birth to her child while facing various conflicts.


“You’re a good girl, Sheeve. Normally, you would hate a woman who almost killed your husband so many times. I wouldn’t be surprised if you tried to keep me away from your child.”


“Fufu. But Lord Torc seems to be having a lot of fun lately. He was able to meet you, who had the same power as him. Lord White Sage doesn’t seem to enjoy fighting very much.”


“...Huh, is that so.”


The White Sage.


I haven’t met him yet, but apparently he visited this country often and exchanged information with the Black Demon King. However, perhaps because he didn’t like fighting, and he didn’t do magic contests so easily until various conditions were met.


Suddenly, Sheeve asked me a question.


“...Um, Lady Scarlet Witch, have you heard about Lord Torc’s origins?”


“Hmm? No. He never tells me anything about himself.”


“...”


Sheeve was in deep thought for a moment, then gently laid down her sleeping child next to her, and slowly began to speak.


“Lord Torc was once the prince from a small ruined country near here. However, because he didn’t have silver hair, which was a symbol of the royal family, and instead had black hair, a symbol of bad luck, he was kept in chains for a long time…and imprisoned in an underground dungeon with demons.”


“...Huh?”


That was the beginning of the man called the Black Demon King.


It was hard to believe now, but when he was young, he was oppressed by people despite being a prince.


“But, the small countries around here are constantly faced with conflicts with neighboring countries and invasions from huge empires. When Lord Torc’s country was invaded by an enemy country, he escaped along with the demons imprisoned with him. After escaping, he decided to create a nation where demons could live in peace. That was what I heard from the old demons of this country.”


“I…see.”


Of course, that man had a reason for creating this country of demons.


I heard that his magical powers were gradually cultivated through his contact with demons during his imprisonment in the dungeon.


“By the way, Sheeve, how did you meet Torc?”


Come to think of it, I had never heard about Sheeve and Torc getting to know each other.


Sheeve’s gaze became distant, and she spoke in a slow tone.


“I…was rescued by Lord Torc from a cage in a freak show. Being half-human and half-demon, I can’t belong to either world…”


“...Sheeve?”


“As the…most taboo existence…”


But no more words seemed to come out of her beyond that.


I wondered how much pain she went through…the color of her eyes became distant and stagnant.


“You don’t need to tell me any more, Sheeve.”


“I’m sorry, Lady Scarlet Witch…”


“I’m the one who made you relive painful memories. I’m sorry,” I stroked her hair. “Now you have Torc and Skroot. It’s wonderful to have a loving family. Even a witch like me thinks so.”


Sheeve seemed to have calmed down a little, and she nodded obediently.


“Certainly, I am very happy now. …But, Lord Torc took me as his wife because I couldn’t have lived otherwise. I am a very weak existence. By doing so, he created a position for me and gave me meaning in life. He was just straightforward in his philosophy of protecting the weak…he doesn’t truly love me.”


“Don’t say that! He treasures you very much.”


I was shocked that Sheeve suddenly said something like that.


But then she went on to say this, as though it was very important.


“I envy you, Lady Scarlet Witch. You’re not threatened by anyone and can live by your own strength. And you have the power to protect what’s important to you, and the power to change your own destiny. Lord Torc also said that he had never met a woman as strong as you before. …I’m sure he admires that part of you.”


“...Sheeve?”


“You have unlimited freedom. It’s blindingly brilliant.”


“...”


What did Sheeve want to appeal to me?


I might indeed have great powers, but I couldn’t get a single thing I wanted, and I was constantly tormented by loneliness. 


I was jealous of Sheeve, who was loved and cherished by Torc.


It was as though we were asking for what we couldn’t have from each other.


“I’m sorry, I didn’t even serve you tea…”


Sheeve rang a bell and called the maid who was waiting outside to prepare tea.


Whenever Torc or I were here, Sheeve would order the servants to leave the room.


A young maid who seemed to be new brought tea to us with an inexperienced look on her face.


“I-It’s my first time meeting you, Lady Scarlet Witch…”


“Oh? I’ve never seen you before. What’s your name?”


When I asked her, the maid said her name, looking nervous.



“My name is Melissa O’Drielle.”



It happened when I heard the name of that young maid–


I felt a sudden shock, as though an electric current had run through my body. 


It was a strange feeling I had never felt before.


“...Wow. You have a perfect name. It’s a great name. Your family name, O’Drielle, is also wonderful. I’m sure that you’ll go on to do something special.”


The girl named Melissa blushed and squirmed bashfully.


She had bobbed red hair that was a little similar to my own, so I felt a sense of kinship with her. Like If I ever had a daughter, perhaps she would look like her…


“But isn’t it rare to have a human maid in a country of demons?”


“It’s true that there aren’t many humans in this country, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. I think twenty percent of the population is human.”


“Oh, that’s surprising.”


According to Sheeve, even though this place was called the country of demons, it seemed that those who had no place were taken in, whether they were humans or demons. Many humans who had magical powers and were discriminated against ended up being guided here.


Was the consistent philosophy of Torc, the Black Demon King, to give the weak who had no place to stay a place where they could feel safe and secure?


I see, I thought to myself as I sipped the tea.


“...”


“What’s wrong, Lady Scarlet Witch?”


Sheeve was confused, probably because I stopped moving and got a strange look on my face.


She was also about to drink the same tea, but I snatched the teacup from her.


“Don’t drink it! It’s poisoned.”


The moment I pointed that out, I felt a cold murderous intent behind me. 


I turned around and found the new maid, Melissa O’Drielle, brandishing a knife and glaring at Sheeve.


“!?”


“Die, you damned demon!”


Sheeve immediately hugged her child close.


I put myself in front of them and grabbed the knife that Melissa swung down with my bare hands.


“...ah…”


Drip…drip…


Blood was pouring from my palm.


However, without fear, I used thread magic without chanting and instantly captured Melissa.


“Lady Scarlet Witch! You’re bleeding…”


“No. Don’t touch my blood, Sheeve. This much is nothing. I can heal myself right away with healing magic. More importantly…”


I hung up Melissa O’Drielle, who tried to kill Sheeve, with my threads, and interrogated her about her intentions and who ordered her to do this while doing this and that. That’s right, while doing this and that.


Apparently, Melissa was an assassin from Hermedes in the north, which viewed this country of demons as dangerous. Her younger sister was being held hostage by Hermedes, and she was ordered to infiltrate this country and kill the royal family.


Melissa was crying as she hung up in the air.


It’s all over, my sister’s going to be killed, she sobbed.


Hermedes would never forgive her for failing her mission.


Eventually, Torc and the other leaders of the country, who heard the commotion, came to the room and took the foreign assassin Melissa away.


As for me, the wound on my palm had already been closed with healing magic, but I was covered in blood, so I was given a bath and a nice dress to change into.




“Then, it’s time for me to leave.”


“After a night like this? I’m not satisfied with my gratitude for you this time. Stay a little longer.”


Torc stopped me, so I plucked up the dress I was wearing.


“I received this dress, and that’s enough for me. Besides, there’s a place I want to go.”


“A place you want to go…?”


I didn’t tell him where it was and just smirked.


Torc must have sensed that I was planning something. But he probably didn’t know what it was. I wasn’t going to tell him, either.


“Come on. Don’t worry about me and just go to Sheeve. She just gave birth and something like that happened. You must be worried out of your mind.”


“...But you were injured as well.”


“It’s already healed up. Look.”


I showed off my neat and clean palm, which had no scar on it at all. 


“...It’s definitely perfect healing magic.”


“Right, right. I’m also good at healing magic.”


“Good grief. There’s no point in me worrying at all. You really are a strong woman.”


“...”


I was smiling and acting like I was in a good mood, but deep down, I wanted to get out of this country as soon as possible. 


Why? It was always like that.


Whenever I came here, I was excited, but when it was time to leave, I felt so empty that I wanted to leave as soon as I could. 


“Oi, Makirié,” Torc called me Makirié. “Thank you for naming my child and saving Sheeve.”


“You’re welcome.”


“For me, my child with Sheeve is special. Not only is he my firstborn, but it’s also meaningful that he inherited both human and demon blood.”


“For this country as well?”


“Yes. Sheeve was the child of a human and demon, and was a being hated by both humans and demons. She can only live in this country. I have to protect someone who can only live in this country. …I’m sure that Skroot will be a child who will inherit my will.”


“...That’s right. I know he’ll make a fine heir. I saw that kind of potential in him.”


“When the naming witch says that, it’s very convincing.”


At that moment, I couldn’t bear to look at Torc’s face.


It must be nice for you.


Having a lot of people around you. Having a precious family. Being filled with love.


I guess you never felt lonely.


I almost said something sarcastic like that, but held my tongue.


If I said it, it would all be over.


“Well, don’t make the same mistake like you made this time. It’s admirable to invite in people without a place to go, but that’s how enemies sneak in.”


“Yeah, I’ll keep that in mind. When I think about how if you weren’t here this time…”


“...?”


Torc frowned, looking worried. He usually didn’t show such expressions.


“It’s sad sometimes to care too much about others. No matter how much we care, they might have their lives taken away by someone else like this time, or die from illness or injury. Even if nothing happens to them, they grow old. I’m sure Sheeve and Skroot will…pass on before me.”


The more important someone was, the greater the pain would be when you lose them.


When you had too many people you cared about, there were many times when you must part ways, leaving a deep sense of sadness within you.


Torc seemed to have his own conflicts.


“I’ll be leaving now,” I turned my back to him.


“Hey, at least wait until morning. There are foreign soldiers and wild demons outside the country.”


“Hah? I won’t be in any danger no matter what’s out there. In fact, I’m the one who’s a symbol of fear. I feel sorry for any soldiers and demons that’ll bump into me.”


“That…may be true, but no, that’s not the issue here.”


Torc took my hand, shook his head, and spoke with an intense look in his eyes.


“I’m not talking about how you’ll be fine even if you run into danger. I just don’t want you to run into danger. You’re a woman. I can’t let you go home alone at night just because you’re strong.”


“Wha…!”


What was this man saying to the Scarlet Witch?


He only treated me like a woman at times like these. How crafty!


My face immediately heated up as I thought along these lines. 


To hide it, I grabbed the brim of my hat and looked down.


“Well, if you insist, I can wait until morning, okay? But I’ll leave as soon as the sun comes up!”


“You’re so dishonest with yourself it’s shocking. Good grief.”


Even I didn’t understand why I couldn’t just be honest. 


If I could honestly express my feelings, if I had been able to show my weakness…no matter what the outcome might have been, I might have been able to feel better without having to feel so much pain.


Yes. Even though I couldn’t tell him “I love you” at that moment.


I had a faint hope that if I just kept thinking of Torc, he would eventually sense my feelings and make me a member of his family. 


However, because he only thought of me as the <Scarlet Witch>, that would never come true.


What he wanted from me was someone who, despite being a woman, he didn’t need to protect by his side.


He wanted someone strong, to stand next to him on the same stage.



Now. At dawn the next day, I slipped away from the country of demons.


I flew away on my broom and headed towards Hermedes’ castle.


As for what I did there…


“Gyaaaaaah! It’s a witch, it’s a witch!!!”


“Is that the rumored Scarlet Witch?”


“Run away! She’s using some kind of strange magic!”


“That woman is laughing with an evil look on her face…!”


While humming, I waved my wand and used my special thread magic to wreak havoc on the grounds of Hermedes. 


Royalty and nobility.


Ministers, soldiers, and jesters.


While they were all running away, I pushed forward gracefully. I also received some amazing treasures. 


Aah. Pandemonium.


In the midst of the chaos, mixed with a witch’s loud laughter, I located Melissa’s sister who was being held hostage, rescued her as planned, and took her out of the castle in a flash. 


The Scarlet Witch was a wicked witch with a bounty on her head.


Since I was kidnapping a young girl, just as the rumors said, there was no problem.


So, I returned to the country of demons and somewhat desperately foisted Melissa’s sister (whose name was apparently Jane) onto Torc, then quickly returned home.


All’s well that ends well.





Comments

  1. ah, as i thought, o drille isn't scarlet witch descendant, and it makes sense now that twillight has a descendant since black king has a wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makirie is like a witch with the greatest heart

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog