Maydare Volume 6 Chapter 2: The Green Priestess



We walked along a well-maintained path in the forest. 


The scenery looked completely different from the forest paths of Lune Ruschia Magic School, perhaps because the trees in this area were larger than normal, and they stretched out as far as the eye could see. But of course, they were nowhere near as big as the World Tree.


Bishop Eska proudly explained that since this area was the home of the World Tree, the magical power of the earth was most abundant here and plants grew bigger than they normally would. 


Thor, on the other hand, was walking and observing the people who passed by us.


“There are Frezier military personnel in Vabel as well.”


Indeed, he was right. I saw people here and there wearing the military uniforms of Frezier, which I had seen before.


“Vabel is legally unable to have an army. Since its founding, Vabel has been protected by the military police dispatched from Frezier. In return, Frezier has the backing of the state and can assume leadership of the world. In this way, the two countries maintained a give-and-take, cooperative relationship.”


“Oh~”


In fact, I had been wondering about the relationship between Frezier and Vabel.


Were they close, were they the same as allies, or did they have a hierarchical relationship…?


But from what Bishop Eska said, it seemed that they had a good relationship with each other, where they gave and took from each other and provide each other with what they needed. 


If only all countries could be so friendly…I thought absurdly.


“Well, we just don’t have an army. Us bishops have our own fighting skills. For emergencies!”


“We know.”


“We know.”


Because this man was just like a soldier who experienced many battles…


We kept that retort to ourselves. Both of us.


“Wow…”


In the central area, there was a donut-shaped cathedral that circled the trunk of the huge tree.


It was the famous Para Maya Cathedral.


The Vabel Palace, Vabel Museum, and World Tree Research Institute were all located next to each other, and there was a large traffic of bishops, nuns, and tourists who were here for sightseeing and had been permitted to enter the nation around this place.


It was all surprisingly normal. There were souvenir shops, restaurants, and flower shops lining the road to the cathedral…


The atmosphere was solemn, but it was also calm and bustling, and you could feel the people carrying out their daily lives in the air.


Following Bishop Eska, we entered the cathedral.


As expected, the inside of the cathedral was quiet and still, and the silence stung my skin. I could feel the solemnity of the Holy Land.


Just as we were wondering what we were supposed to be doing here…


“First off, I want you guys to meet the <Green Priestess>.”


Thor and I let out gasps of surprise at Bishop Eska’s words.


“Is it okay for us to meet her before the Savior, Lady Airi?”


Thor’s question was a fair one.


That was also the first thing that came to my mind.


“You morons. You’re still not aware? The Lord-class magicians are higher up on the hierarchy of the ‘laws of the world’ than the Savior and Guardians. To put it another way, the Savior is an underling of the <Collector>, Kanon. The ‘summoning of a Savior from another world’ is a powerful spell unique to him.”


“...”


“Stop making that blank look. One of the reasons why a Savior has to be summoned from another world is because they are from outside this world, and therefore outside this world’s ‘principles.’ The Guardians are even further down, just mobs who support the Savior.”


“Just mobs…”


Thor and I had been through a lot of things simply because we were chosen to be those mobs…


“Well, the Savior has the authority to kill us Lord-class magicians, so in that sense, she is a threat to us.”


“...I’m not sure I understand.”


“You’ll figure it out soon enough. And if you’re still a fool who doesn’t get it by then, I’ll explain it to you with a blackboard next time!” Bishop Eska snapped.


He was a bit snappish, but the fact that he was trying to teach us thoroughly was just like him.




After walking down a long, long corridor, we stood in front of a large green door at the end.


There was a picture of something that looked like the World Tree depicted on the door. 


Bishop Eska cleared his throat, then knocked on the door. 


“Lady Priestess, Lady Priestess, it’s Eska. May I come in?”


Whoa. That Bishop Eska was acting so humbly…


Thor and I looked at each other with that thought in our minds.


After a while, the huge green door opened its own, making a dull, scraping sound against the ground.


I thought there would be an indoor room beyond the door, but I was surprised to see a lot of sunlight streaming in from overhead. 


On the contrary, it was filled with the scent of soil, water, and just-bloomed plants. It was like being in the depths of a forest.


“Wow…”


I couldn’t help but let out a sigh of admiration. 


It seemed that this place was something like a courtyard.


Sunlight filtering through the foliage flickered down on the lush green earth, illuminating various plants I had never seen before. They were growing verdantly and bloomed with colorful flowers. 


On the ground overgrown with young grass, there were oval springs that looked like puddles of water rolling about, and white butterflies were fluttering around. 


At first, it was easy to be distracted by all the light and greenery, but after progressing a bit further, I finally noticed it.


And my breath caught.


Before we knew it, we were at the roots of the World Tree that had existed in this world since the beginning.


Basically, this was a donut-shaped courtyard that encircled the trunk of the World Tree, and this was probably the central part of the Para Maya Cathedral.


This was the place where the World Tree’s roots were protected.


In other words, this place truly was a Holy Land–



“Welcome back.”



I looked up, and was taken aback. Before I knew it, there was a girl standing in front of me.


She was probably shorter than me. Her eyes were a deep jade color, and her pale chartreuse green hair was trimmed at her shoulders. Her priestess uniform that looked like layered thin cloth was also light green. With her soft, loving smile, she looked like a youthful, lovely angel, or a compassionate madonna. 


I knew it at first sight.


Ah, this person is definitely the <Green Priestess>.


“Welcome back,” the girl looked at us, smiled, and said it again.


“U-um…”


What did she mean, welcome back?


While Thor and I were confused, Bishop Eska knelt down and bowed his head.


“I have returned, Lady Priestess.”


“Mm. Welcome back, big brother.”


“...”


Big brother?


Not understanding at all, I tilted my head hard.


Seeing me like that, the Green Priestess let out an “Ah.”


“Aren’t these children the reincarnations of the <Scarlet Witch> and <Black Demon King>? You really found them!”


The Green Priestess said in a sweet, bell-like voice, then rushed over to us.


And then, she circled around us while laughing innocently.


“You’re the <Scarlet Witch>, right? Your hair is red, as expected.”


“Um, er…”


“So, you’re the <Black Demon King>? You’re still young, but you look exactly like him~”


“...Look exactly like him?”


Thor muttered in a questioning tone, and the green-haired girl’s eyes widened in surprise.


“Oh, I’m sorry! I got too carried away. Nice to meet you, I’m the <Green Priestess> of the Vabel State, Perselyse.”


Plucking up her airy, fairy-like priestess garments, the green-haired girl greeted us gracefully.


This girl really was the <Green Priestess>.


“It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Makia O’Drielle.”


“My name is Thor Bigreitz.”


Thor and I both put our hands on our chests and introduced ourselves.


The Green Priestess who called herself Perselyse…


By her looks, she appeared to be about fourteen years old. She seemed like a young and innocent girl, but the Green Priestess was said to have the highest authority and most influential voice in Vabel.


“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” the Green Priestess said once again. Now she was fidgeting and peeking behind us.


Was she expecting something…?


“Hey, where’s Ulysses? Ulysses isn’t with you?” she asked Bishop Eska with a girlish expression on her face. 


A blue vein throbbed on his forehead, but he answered her with a warped smile.


“That shitty black-hearted prince…ahem. No, Prince Ulysses of the Kingdom of Ruschia will be here the day after tomorrow, I believe. Please wait a little while longer, Lady Priestess.”


“What! I thought he’d come today, so I got all dressed up!”


The Green Priestess puffed out her cheeks like a dwarf hamster and looked angry.


It was then that I suddenly realized it. 


Come to think of it, she and Professor Ulysses were engaged to each other!


Huh? Huh? No way…this girl and Professor Ulysses are going to get married?


This had to be a joke. What was their age difference?


Somehow, I couldn’t picture it at all.


“What’s with that dumbfounded look on your faces?” Bishop Eska noticed me and Thor’s overwhelming confusion.


“Then first, why did the Lady Priestess call you ‘big brother,’ sir? I have a lot of questions, but please start from there.”


Thor immediately asked. I had been wondering about that too.


In response to that, the Green Priestess let out an “Ah,” clapped her hands together, and answered him in an innocent voice.


“Well, you see! Bishop Eska and I are blood-related brother and sister! We’re Archbishop Dergstad’s grandchildren.”


“Huh? What…?”


“I see. I understand. You’re siblings who are so far apart in age that you don’t look similar. I’ve never seen such dissimilar siblings before.”


A very disrespectful remark from Thor that held a hint of desperation.


But no matter how you looked at them, they were an angel and a devil. They looked like completely opposite existences.


“Um, excuse me. May I ask a question as well? Earlier, the name of Prince Ulysses came up, but if I remember correctly, you and His Highness are…”


When I nervously brought it up, the Green Priestess smiled her most adorable smile so far and bounced up and down.


“Yes! That’s right! Ulysses and I are engaged!”


Ah, how adorable. Her expression was that of a girl in love.


The Green Priestess really seemed to adore Profesor Ulysses. Her hands covering her flushed cheeks, she was still thinking about him.


“Oh, I can’t wait to see you, Ulysses. I finally turned eighteen, and now Ulysses can marry into Vabel, but I can’t see him because of all this shady business! I’m getting tired of waiting, you know!”


“...Huh?”


Eighteen…?


Does that mean…the Green Priestess is actually older than me!?


“Heh. Since it’s him, he’s probably flirting with the spirits, right? Maybe he even has a lover back in his country.”


In response to Bishop Eska’s outrageous comment, a dark shadow suddenly settled over the face of the Green Priestess, who had looked so innocent and naive just a few seconds ago.



“What are you talking about, big brother? Ulysses is my husband in my previous life. Five hundred years ago, he pledged eternal love to me. He would never, under any circumstances, betray me.”



Her intimidating air was intense.


Her voice dropped a tone, and she suddenly sounded like an adult.


Bishop Eska was so overwhelmed by her that he could only answer, “Yes, Lady Priestess.”


Only Thor kept a cool face. “Your husband in your previous life…?”


He seemed to be interested in that part of the Green Priestess’s words.


The Green Priestess, still speaking in a slightly mature tone, put her hand on her chest and explained.


“Yes. The Green Priestess is a hereditary role, but I am also the reincarnation of the <Green Priestess> from five hundred years ago. In short, I am one of the ten Lord-class magicians.”


“!?”


Then, I recalled the story of the legendary three magicians who were famous five hundred years ago.


Now I remember. The <White Sage> was supposed to have been the husband of the <Green Priestess> of that time.


I see. So that’s how it is.


The Green Priestess who was the wife of the White Sage five hundred years ago was this girl!


“Yes. Ulysses is the reincarnation of the <White Sage> from five hundred years ago. And I’m the reincarnation of the <Green Priestess> from that time. Therefore, Ulysses and I are destined to be together in both our previous lives and this one. Mea Dea.”


The Green Priestess solemnly told us.


A husband and wife from the previous life will be united again, huh.


When I thought about it that way, I had to agree that it made sense. It also took away some of Professor Ulysses’s criminal aura…well, the Priestess was older than me, but still…


“I know the two of you very well.”


“Huh…?”


“That’s why I thought you were so much alike. Ulysses would have thought so even more. But you still don’t remember what happened five hundred years ago, do you?”


The Green Priestess smiled a bit sadly.


She had also recalled the memories of her past life and returned.


“Lady Priestess. It’s almost time for prayers.”


“Ah, you’re right!”


At Bishop Eska’s prompting, the Priestess retook her innocent tone and acted somewhat childishly.


“Well then, Makia, Thor! Let’s have a nice long chat next time!”


After waving at us, she ran to the back of the World Tree’s trunk and disappeared.


“...”


What a strange woman.


She seemed naive and immature, but then she would suddenly look like a grown-up. 


She hadn’t forgotten her child’s heart, but she had a side to her that was more mature than anyone else…


Without exception, she had a unique presence, just like the others listed in the ranks of the Lord-class magicians.




That night, I was sitting on the balcony of my guest room in Vabel Palace, drinking warm herbal tea in the pleasant spring breeze.


Since Thor and I were now lovers, for some reason we were given warnings and put in separate rooms.


Bishop Eska said, Don’t you two make out with each other at a time like this.


Thor had been insistent on sharing a room with me until the end, saying that he was worried about me and what if someone tried to kill me, but Bishop Eska, who was acting strangely chaste and righteous.


“Well…I don’t think any bad people will be able to go through the Green Curtain...”


I sipped my tea.


Nights in Vabel were very quiet, and I could only hear the rustling of leaves on the trees.


The air seemed to be clearer here, and I felt very calm.


“...Hmm?”


That was when it happened.


I saw a faintly shining line appear in midair, and then it ripped open like a seam and the space opened up. Someone alighted from it.


“Wah, wah wah wah!”


I hurriedly got to my feet.


No way, a bad guy!? I thought, but it turned out to be Thor who came out of the tear in space.


“This is teleportation magic. Please calm down, Milady.”


“Wait, is that what teleportation magic is like?”


“It’s not the normal kind, it’s the Black Demon King’s teleportation spell that’s used by opening the ‘Black Box.’ I heard that there are restrictions on magic within Vabel, so I wondered if the Black Demon King’s magic would work…and I tried it.”


“Hey, wait wait wait, what are you doing! That means you used the first incantation from your previous life, doesn’t it!? Did you forget that you lost an eye because of it!? It’s too dangerous, so stop it!”


In the first place, what would happen if Bishop Eska found out about it…


But Thor answered nonchalantly.


“If you follow the steps properly and do it at this distance, there is absolutely no risk. I lost my eye before because I forced the Black Box to open. Besides, in my case it seems like I paid the price in advance with my eye, so even if I use the Black Demon King’s magic for a while, I won’t lost parts of my body one after the other like the Twilight clan people…that’s what His Highness Ulysses said before.”


Thor said with a wry smile as he pressed his hand to his eye.


The Twilight clan–that is, the descendants of the Black Demon King, and the clan my friend Lapis belonged to. 


They inherited the magic of the Black Demon King, and in exchange for using it, they paid the price with parts of their bodies. That was why many of them were missing limbs and had prosthetics.


However, it was Professor Ulysses’ view that if it was Thor, who was the reincarnation of the Black Demon King, he wouldn’t have to pay the price for a while after giving up his eye.


“Apparently, the Black Demon King also paid with one eye in advance.”


“R-really?”


“I apologize for worrying you, Milady. But, I wanted to be by your side.”


“...”


Thor was acting kind of meek tonight.


His expression and gaze also seemed somewhat frail.


I ran to his side and touched his cheek.


“Thor, what’s wrong? You don’t seem very well.”


“...Is that so?”


“Yes. You’ve been like this all day.”


He tended to flare up at Bishop Eska, and while I had been excited about this and that since arriving in Vabel, Thor had seemed preoccupied and somewhat downcast, like he was on edge…that was what it felt like.


“If you say that, Milady, then it must be so. Maybe it’s because…on the flying boat, I could see the town where I used to live.”


“Eh…”


While my expression stiffened, Thor smiled an empty smile.


“After all this time, I recalled the time when I was sold by my family and fell into slavery.”


“...”


That’s right. Why hadn’t I realized that? 


For Thor, the Frezier Empire was his homeland.


The different scenery from the Kingdom of Ruschia, and even the scent of the soil and wind, might have reminded Thor of painful memories. Complicated feelings about his family and hometown would probably well up within him whether he liked it or not.


After all, he was once a slave.


He was chained, deprived of his freedom, and treated terribly.


I found him as a slave and brought him back to Deliafield.


“I’m sorry, Thor. I didn’t realize…!”


I immediately apologized and took his hand.


It was very cold. 


Maybe it was because my hands were so hot that it felt even more so.


As I squeezed it, Thor also gently squeezed my hand back and smiled bitterly.


“Why are you apologizing, Milady? I saw my hometown, but it was while you were asleep, so you don’t have to worry about it.”


“But you must have felt sad.”


“...”


It really was something I should have thought about before we landed here.


Thor was a strong, reliable knight who could handle anything, so I was always being taken care of like I was a noble lady…oh, I’m so pathetic.


“Thor, do you want to see your hometown? Do you want to see your family?”


I wanted to hear his true feelings. If he wanted to go see them, then he should be able to go.


However…


“No, absolutely not. They were the ones who sold me for money.”


“...Yeah, you’re right.”


“It’s fine. I have you…and everyone at the O’Drielle estate.”


Besides, on paper, I’m a member of the Bigreitz family.


There are many people I can call my family.


With a somewhat distant look in his eyes, Thor didn’t forget to add those points.




It was getting a little cold, so we returned to my room from the balcony.


I had Thor sit on the sofa and went to re-brew the tea.


“I can’t let the lady I serve make me tea!” Thor hurriedly stood up, but I was amazed.


“Didn’t you say it yourself earlier? You’re a member of the Bigreitz family. Even though you’re from a family that has a much higher rank than ours, you still aren’t aware of that.”


“But that’s only the official story.”


“You know, for an aristocrat, these kinds of contracts are more powerful than anything. It’s okay, don’t worry. Let me make you tea every once in a while.”


With that, I half-forcibly convinced Thor to sit back down on the sofa.


I re-brewed the herb tea and brought it to him.


“Hey, Milady,” Thor muttered absentmindedly as we sat side by side on the sofa, sipping our tea.


“Hmm?”


“Do we really have to remember our past lives?”


“...Huh?”


I was bewildered when he suddenly said that.


It seemed that Thor’s melancholy wasn’t just about his hometown.


“What’s wrong, Thor? Is there something you’re worried about?”


Memories of our past lives and remembering them…


“Today, the Green Priestess said that her husband from her past life, Prince Ulysses, is her destined one. When I heard that, I thought about it a little. …If I recalled my previous life’s memories, will I be trapped by my previous love and my feelings for the ones I loved?”


Hearing that, I was taken aback.


I stilled my hand that was holding the teacup and stared at Thor unblinkingly.


Thor kept his gaze down and continued.


“I don’t want that. I want to treasure the feelings I have now. Is that wrong?”


“Thor…”


“Because both the Black Demon King and Scarlet Witch have descendants. My point is, they both had their own partners…someone they loved.”


“...”


The Twilight clan.


The O’Drielle family.


If these two clans were the descendants of the Black Demon King and Scarlet Witch respectively, then it was as Thor said.


No, I should have known.


But I stopped thinking deeply about it.


But Thor couldn’t stop thinking about it.



“Milady, if you remember your true destined person…I will…”



Thor put his hand on his forehead and took a deep breath.


“...My apologies. It’s just as the bishop said. I’m cowardly.”


“...”


“I’m aware of it. I’m sure I don’t have confidence in myself,” Thor said, with a feeble voice. “I want to be loved by you. You’re all I need. That’s how attached to you I am. I’m dependent on you. I’m always afraid…that one day you won’t need me anymore.”


“...Thor…”


My chest tightened, and I felt like I was about to cry.


I realized that all of his sadness could be traced back to that source.


He was sold by his family at a young age and was treated horribly as a slave.


Just when he thought he had finally found a place to stay, he was separated from me and everyone in the O’Drielle family.


Thor’s constant anxiety.


It was caused by the instability of his safe spaces, low self-esteem, and lack of confidence about being loved.


From the perspective of others, Thor was perfect in every way, but this was the darkness in his heart.


With all of that, the memories of the Black Demon King were the last thing he needed.


He, who was living in the present, was desperately trying to overcome the painful memories of his childhood and a past full of trauma.


At least, he was different from me, who grew up loved by my parents.


The present he was living in was already full to the brim, and there was no room for more.


“Thor…!”


I put down my teacup and stood up, facing him straight on and hugging his head to my chest. 


We stayed like that for a while.


Until Thor and I found comfort in each other’s warmth.


“Hey, can I ask you something?”


“What is it…?”


“Why do you love me, Thor?”


“There are a lot of reasons, but…”


A lot of reasons, he said.


“The first and foremost reason is that you found me and gave me a ‘name,’ Milady. That was the moment when my destiny changed completely, I’m sure. I could see that clearly.”


“...”


“The time I spent with you in Deliafield was the happiest time of my life.”


That day I found a skinny slave boy in a port town.


I saw his potential for his magic, gave him a name, and we spent our days studying diligently together.


Our childhood memories, where everything was gentle and peaceful, and where we were never lonely as long as we had each other.


I don’t need anything that would overturn that. I don’t want it.


I could understand Thor’s reluctance to recall memories of his previous life.


Thor wanted the me right now, Makia O’Drielle.


He was terrified that I would change, and he himself would change.


I was both happy and sad that he thought about me so much.


I was the only one for Thor.


Even though I said that wasn’t true, he himself thought so.


I managed to hold back my tears, and while stroking Thor’s head, I spoke in a falsely cheerful voice.


“Let me tell you this! When you were chosen as a Guardian and taken to the capital, my despair was really something. I couldn’t get food down my throat at all, and I got very skinny.”


I told this story to Thor several times.


But I was telling this to Thor once again.


It was a funny story now, but I had really hit rock bottom at that time.


“I was in love with you. I realized that too late, and I regretted so much that I wasn’t able to say anything to you. That was why I was desperately chased after you. I couldn’t help but want to catch up to you.”


I won’t accept that these feelings never existed, just because I remembered my previous life.



“I will never forget this love. I will never, ever let you be alone.”



Thor’s body reacted with a twitch upon hearing these words. Little by little, I feel the tension seep out of his body.


Besides, I thought about it a little.


About the Black Demon King and Scarlet Witch. I couldn’t believe that the two of them had nothing between them, even though Thor and I had such feelings for each other.


Even if they both had spouses, even if they were never together, there must have been a moment when their hearts were connected.


At the very least, it was said that the Scarlet Witch had one-sided feelings for someone. I’ve heard before that she had an unrequited love, just as the meaning of anemones in the language of flowers.


If that person was the Black Demon King…


I’m sure that all the answers were in our previous lives.


Thor didn’t seem to want to remember too much, but I would like to check it out.


And then, that happened.


“...If that’s the case, then we should have gotten engaged when we were in Deliafield.”


Thor muttered in my arms. 


“Pardon me?” I asked back. “Sure, Father and Mother said that we should get engaged there, but…are you the type to fixate on those kinds of contracts?”


“I am. I want a definite contract like that. Because for aristocrats, this kind of contract is the strongest, isn’t it?”


“W-Well…”


Thor skillfully retorted using the words I said earlier. He suddenly lifted his head and held my hand tightly before him.


Right when I said “Huh?”, he pulled my arm and pushed me down onto the sofa. Before I knew it, he was hanging over me.


“I feel like we should just make it an established fact already.”


“Huh? An established fact?”


When I looked puzzled, Thor smiled wickedly, caressed my cheek, and traced my lips with his thumb. 


“Please put me at ease, Milady.”


He whispered into my ear. The moment I stiffened, he pressed his lips to mine.


Unlike our usual kisses, this one was urgent and hurried. I was panting, and my heart was pounding wildly.


On the other hand, I was thinking, Oh? The little devil Thor is back?


Where was the Thor that had been acting meek and feeble just a few minutes ago? 


Furthermore, he brought his lips to my neck and brought his body closer to mine. My body stiffened even more.


“Hey, hey hey hey, calm down, Thor! Don’t be so hasty because of your youthful enthusiasm! This is the Holy Land~!”


My face turned bright red, and though I was saying this and that, I let the persistent Thor to keeping doing what he was doing…


Bang!


All of a sudden, there was the sound of the door being pushed open.


I turned in surprise and found Bishop Eska standing there. He looked like he had found the most sinful sinners in the world.


“You two…”


“Ah, um, ah…”


“You twoooooooo! Don’t make out in the Holy Laaaaaaaand!”


Bishop Eska was absolutely livid. He was in condemnation mode.


He already had his bazooka at the ready.


“We’re interrupted. Tch,” Thor clicked his tongue, not looking the slightest bit sorry.


As for me, I screamed with tears in my eyes and tried to stop Bishop Eska from setting everything on fire.


This kind of thing happened before, didn’t it? I thought.

Comments

  1. ... I sell Bed, btw.... 😉😉😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA
    I love you eska, ill always do

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hnngg! This is some good Makia/Thor food right here. Thor is getting bolder and bolder 😍. Lmfao, Eska, you cockblocker.

    And, as someone who has read the (machine-translated) OG Web Novel... Boy, the backstories are going to be *rough*. I wonder how it is in the LN version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Can I have a link to that web novel, please?

      Delete
    2. Here you go: https://ncode.syosetu.com/n3862be/

      Delete
  4. "Don’t you two make out with each other at a time like this." I guess now we know Eska really DID saw them kissing in the middle of war huh😭

    the funny bits aside, i really love that they're both very comforting of each other, and how honest they with their feelings. the key to a good relationship truly is communication.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog