Maydare Volume 4 Chapter 4 - The Closing Ceremony

 Things start going down in this chapter


That night, I had a hard time sleeping. 


I had too many worries. My heart felt unbearably gloomy.


“You can’t sleep, Makia?”


In the dark room, I heard Lapis’s whisper from the bed next to me. 


“...Mmm, a little bit.”


“Did something happen with Mr. Thor? You didn’t look happy when we were returning from the palace.”


“Yeah. I guess that has to do with it.”


“Is it about the magic I’m teaching him?”


Lapis sounded worried. 


I could imagine the expression on her face even in the dark. 


“No, that’s not it, Lapis. Of course I'm concerned about that too, but…we've had a bit of a misunderstanding.”


“Misunderstanding?”


“Hey, Lapis, can I go over to your side?”


“Eh? Alright, but…”


Lapis looked mystified, but I got out of my bed and quickly crawled into Lapis's bed. Lapis made room for me.


“Hey, Lapis, are you going to end your studies at Lune Ruschia after the closing ceremony?”


“Yes…”


“You’re going back to Frezier?”


“Yes, that’s right, Makia.”


“...Is that so. I see.”


I heard about Lapis’s situation earlier at the palace.


Her exchange period with Lune Ruschia was one year, and apparently next year, she would return to the Frezier Empire’s magic research institute, where she originally belonged.


Meaning, she wasn’t going to graduate from this school.


It was something I’d figured out just by thinking about it a little bit.


But, I assumed that we would continue to study together at this school as Garnet Team 9. 


I was under such a misapprehension.


Even though I myself was also leaving this school because of my position as Guardian.


“What about you, Makia?”


“Huh?”


“Aren’t you going to Frezier too as a Guardian?”


“...”


For a moment, I was at a loss for words. 


But, since Lapis was in the position of teaching Thor magic, I thought, That makes sense.


“I see. So you know that I’m one of the Guardians.”


“Yes, because I’m teaching spatial magic to Thor Bigreitz by the order of the royal court. Makia, I’m teaching it to your former knight.”


“Do you remember what I told you before? That there’s someone who looks like you? I was talking about Thor. What do you think of him?”


At my question, Lapis let out a “Hmm: that sounded as if she was a little deep in thought.


“You were right. I thought, I see. I wondered if he was my brother separated at birth.”


“Right!? That would be interesting, wouldn't it?”


And then we both giggled. 


“Thor said that he has been having trouble using the magic that you’re teaching him, and he’s really depressed about it. It was the first time I saw him like that. …From your point of view, how is he doing there?”


“...I see. He’s still rough, but he’s getting there. He undoubtedly has talent, so once he gets a feel for it, he will be able to use it in no time at all. It isn’t a technique one can learn in a short period of time in the first place.”


“Oh, really~~. So even from your point of view, Thor has talent.”


“Yes. Quite a lot.”


I was happy to have my own family be praised by an acquaintance.


But on the other hand, when I recalled what I now knew about Thor’s inner feelings, I sniffled.


“Makia? Are you okay?”


“I-I’m fine. I’m okay.”


It seemed that Lapis was sensitive and sensed my unsettled heart.


I asked her something I had always been curious about.


“Hey, Lapis. Why did you come to this country…to Lune Ruschia Magic School? If you’re just here to teach magic to Thor, then I don’t think there’s any need for you to go to school.”


After a short pause, Lapis said, “There is something I wanted to take back.”


Her tone was a little stronger than usual.


“Something you want to take back?”


“...”


I waited for a while for Lapis to reply.


I felt like that from those words, I had caught a glimpse of Lapis's feelings that I didn’t know about.


I thought that if she didn’t want to say anything, I shouldn’t force her to talk, but after a while, Lapis told me about her background.


“I believe I told you that the Twilight clan are the descendants of the〈Black Demon King〉.”


“Yes, I’ve heard.”


I believe it was when we were working on our first group assignment. 


In the cave behind the waterfall on the Medicinal Herb Garden Island, the topic came up between Garnet Team 9. 


“The Twilight clan was said to be a phantom clan that lived hidden in the mountains on the border between the Hermedes Heavenly Empire and the Frezier Empire. We rarely got down to human settlements. While inheriting the〈Black Demon King’s〉magic, we didn’t belong to the Heavenly Empire or the Empire, and maintained our own autonomy.”


Lapis told me that they were a single clan, but formed one nation.


The reason they were a closed clan, Lapis was told by the previous chief, was because it was very dangerous for the magic of the Demon King to be widely known to the outside world.


“We lived in peace. One day, however, an army of demons from the Hermedes Heavenly Empire came, invaded Twilight's hidden village and burned everything to the ground. They captured those who could use magic and slaughtered everyone else. Old men, women, children, everyone…”


“...Eh…?”


“Isn't it funny? The demons that the〈Black Demon King〉 saved in the past, have now killed us, his descendants. They forgot the blessings of the king and obeyed the Heavenly Empire…”


The voice of Lapis, who was always calm and collected, was laced with a hatred that couldn’t be hidden. 


I could feel her strong magical power mixed with anger.


I was at a loss for words, faced with her natural hatred, her past, and her background.


“I barely escaped with my life with several members of my family. We asked for help from the Frezier Empire. Frezier protected us, the survivors, and still does. But most of my family was either captured by the Heavenly Empire or killed.”


The covers moved.


Lapis pulled her prosthetic hand out of the covers and held it up in the darkness. 


“I will never forget the sight of that day, the flames seared into my eyes. The Heavenly wanted the〈Black Demon King’s〉Book of Secret Arts and the technique of ‘teleportation magic’ that the Twilight clan established.”


“Teleportation…magic…?”


Hearing those words, a chill ran down my spine.


Something clicked in my head. 


The Heavenly Empire had been dramatically improving its “teleportation magic” technology for the past few years, and was now trying to extend its evil influence even to the Kingdom of Ruschia. 


It was a topic that came up at the recent allied nations meeting. 


It probably started with the attack on Twilight——


“Makia, you must have already realized. The Heavenly Empire advanced their teleportation magic technology by forcing Twilight magicians to develop a number of tools of warfare. The magic of the〈Black Demon King〉inherited by my family is already in the hands of the Heavenly Empire.”


I was sure that Lapis and the top brass of this country understood more than me how serious this situation was. But even I could imagine it at least a little. 


It would be something like, what if the〈Scarlet Witch’s〉magic, was given to an enemy country…?


“What are you going to do from now on, Lapis?”


“I want to free my family members imprisoned in the Heavenl Empire. I will continue to fight for that.”


“Is coming to Lune Ruschia part of your fight too?”


“Yes, that’s right. I can’t say anything more than that, but…”


“...”


For a while, there was silence.


I was one of the descendants of the〈Scarlet Witch〉. 


That was why I felt like I had something in common with Lapis, the descendant of the〈Black Demon King〉, who was spoken of in the same category.


However, we were completely different. The backgrounds of Lapis and I were completely different. 


As a descendant of the Scarlet Witch, I have had all kinds of snide remarks and insults thrown at me, but Lapis had seen a lot of blood and lost her hometown and family members. She had reached this place at the end of tragedy and despair. 


All in order to save her imprisoned comrades. 


“Then, were your prosthetic limbs…”


“Yes. I lost them when I escaped from Twilight’s hidden village. But thanks to that, I’ve also obtained power, so these limbs aren’t so hateful to me.”


“But…, that’s awful! I live in the peaceful Kingdom of Ruschia, so I don’t know a single thing about the outside world. I can’t believe that you go through something like that…”


People from other countries said that the people of the Kingdom of Ruschia were all peace idiots.


Outside, there were unthinkably cruel things happening, life and death were always next to each other, and everyone was frightened of war. 


Lapis told me that she was ten years old when she lost her limbs.


Ten years old. At that age, I lived a happy life in the countryside, loved greatly by my parents. 


I squeezed Lapis’s right prosthetic hand tightly.


It was cold and hard. Until now, I had never paid any attention to the feel of Lapis’s prosthetic hand. 


But that wasn’t the case this time.


Considering the magnitude of what she has lost…


“What can I do?”


As Lapis’s friend.


But I didn’t feel like I could do anything. I was still a tiny witch after all…


"I’m sure that you will have a very big role to play.”


“Do you mean as a Guardian? Or as a descendant of the Scarlet Witch? But I, myself, am nothing special.” 


“No, that's not true. You are special, Makia.” 


At least to me, Lapis added in a whisper. 


“It’s not only you. I’m sure that Mr. Frey and Mr. Nero also have a special role to play.”


“...Garnet Team 9?”


“Yes, that’s right.”


I couldn’t help but be a little surprised to hear their names mentioned here


“I’m sure that my meeting with you all will have a…big influence on my future…”


Lapis whispered that and said nothing more. 


After a long silence, I turned my face to the side and saw that Lapis was sleeping with her eyes closed. 


I sensed that she was really asleep, because I could hear her small sleeping breaths. 


And once Lapis fell asleep, she didn’t wake up right away. 


“Lapis…”


I brought my body closer to Lapis and let out a few tears. 


I was filled with emotions. I didn't know if they were frustration or pity. 


I recalled the past Lapis talked about and thought about it. But I was sure it was a crueler event than I could imagine.


For Lapis, it was a memory that she couldn’t forget. 





It was finally the day of the closing ceremony. 


From the time I entered the school until this day, there had been many incidents, but my school life had always been peaceful and meaningful. 


I didn’t know what the results would be, but I could confidently say that I have done my best this year, and I find that very refreshing.


Now then. The Garnet first years’ closing ceremony was held at the Lighthouse Commemoration Plaza.


The students were lined up in front of the symbol of the school, the great lighthouse holding the lacrima crystal that stood at the top of Lune Ruschia Magic School.


“Oi, Leader. Isn’t that the Savior?”


“Huh?”


I noticed that after Frey poked my shoulder, but there was a familiar-looking girl in the visitor’s seat, looking like she was there incognito.


It was Airi. Why was she here!? The Guardians were here too.


“Oh, Thor…”


Thor was also next to Airi. When he sensed my gaze, he smiled and bowed like he usually did. It was as if yesterday had never happened. 


The closing ceremony began and proceeded solemnly. 


“Now, Garnet first-year students, we will announce the students who have achieved high results  this year!”


Professor Lila shouted.


Everyone was nervous and it seemed as if the atmosphere of the ceremony had changed. 


Finally, the moment of truth arrived. 


At the closing ceremony, based on the results of the second semester exams, the top achievers for each subject were announced. 


“The top student for Potions is Makia O’Drielle.”


“Yes!”


I was surprised to hear my name being read out first, and I couldn’t help but pump my fist in the air.


I received applause from those around me.


But this was exactly what I was aiming for. I absolutely couldn’t miss this chance. 


No, no, I was sure that my uncle’s partiality to me didn’t play any part in this. I got full marks on my second semester exam, after all!


“The top student for Elemental Magic Studies is Beatrice Asta.”


“Ohohohoho, but of course!”


I heard familiar high-pitched laughter. Her cronies applauded loudly.


…Tch. So Beatrice got that?


Elemental Magic Studies was a field in which the Asta family excelled. Beatrice also must have worked very hard not to let this one slip away. 


I’ll acknowledge that honestly and compliment you…Congratulations, Beatrice!


“The top student for History of the Magical World is Nero Pachelbel.”


“...”


“Hey, Nero, look a little happier!”


Even though another top student in a subject had been chosen from our group 9, the person in question looked completely indifferent. I couldn't tell whether he was happy or not. 


So, we, the members of Garnet Team 9, clapped for him with all our hearts. 


“Next, I will announce the top student in Magical Physical Education!”


Perhaps because it was the subject she was in charge of, Professor Lila’s voice got even louder.


“The top student for Magical Physical Education is Dan Holland!”


“——Huh!?”


An unexpected ambush. I never would have thought that it would be Team 3’s leader, Dan Holland!?


Well, it was true that he was ahead of most people in the grade.I guess he got good marks in his last practical exam. 


The only thing that I, Nero, and Beatrice, who were candidates for the honor student position, might not have been good at was this subject, Magical Physical Education. 


The members of Team 3 shouted things like “That’s our Dan!” and “Dan’s so cool!”


The top students in Magical Physical Education were recommended to schools for royal magic soldiers or magic knights, so it was a special subject that opened the way to the future for those who wanted to work at the royal palace. I was the runner-up, by the way. 


Ugh~, I wasn’t sure what the final result was going to be now. 


“Finally, the top student for Spirit Magic Studies is——Nero Pachelbel!”


“Wait, Nero again! I knew I made a bunch of mistakes on the written exam~~”


“Makia, be quiet.”


The low-tension Nero had taken first place once again.


But Nero was the only student in our grade to get a perfect score on the extremely difficult written test for Spirit Magic Studies, so it was no surprise that he was at the top of the class. 


And in the final practical exam, the hunt for spirits, he had obtained the signature of Lighthouse Keeper Jean, who was on the same level as Headmaster Pan. 


While I was openly groaning my frustration, Beatrice was also biting her nails. We were both pretty much done for… 


After the announcements of the top students in each subject area, Headmaster Pan appeared from a large mirror. 


“Now then, I will announce the results for the final group assignment for Garnet first-year students, the ‘Everyday Magic Tool Contest’!”


It’s here!


The results of the Everyday Magic Tool Contest could be a very important mark in determining the Garnet honor student.


I squeezed my fists and stared at Headmaster Pan’s face in the large mirror. 


“The first place winner of the Everyday Magic Tool Contest is…Garnet Team 3, ‘Magical Toy Young Junk’!”


“Yeaaaaaaah!!”


It wasn’t us, Team 9, but the members of Team 3, our rivals, who were cheering.


Oh, I see. We lost…


And what's more, wasn’t the name of their magic tool pretty cool?


Ours was named “Magical Toasty Mini Heater,” but I wondered if that lame name caused our points to be deducted? 


However, I could accept that first place went to Team 3. 


Even Nero, sitting next to me, was nodding.


“Garnet Team 3, please come up to the podium.”


The Everyday Magic Tool Contest was made possible by the support of the royal capital’s businesses and companies, so the winning team received a trophy and privileges in commemoration. Ugh, I was so jealous. 


Team 3 looked a little nervous, but they went up on the podium. 


The microphone was handed to Dan, the leader of the team. 


Dan, with a look of complete satisfaction on his face, said right off the bat, “Well, of course. We’re not going to lose to a bunch of rich, spoiled brats.” 


He was booed loudly by the aristocratic students. 


To the students who came from commoner backgrounds, even his appearance looked cool and radiant, and he was gathering their gazes of respect at the same time. It was the birth of a new kind of charisma for our school year. 


“Is there someone you would like to share this result was?”


The unexpected question from Headmaster Pan caused Dan, who had been looking so smug until now, to stiffen.


Dan wasn’t the only one. The same was true for everyone in Garnet Team 3.


Dan gritted his teeth and squeezed out his voice with the trophy in his arms. 



“I wish Professor Batiste could have seen this…”



Pressing his hand against the bandana on his head, Dan Holland cried manly tears. Seeing him like that, I felt a surge of emotion as well. 


That’s right. Garnet Team 3 was composed of students from the orphanage. 


I had heard from a member of Garnet Team 3 that Professor Eugene Batiste had been instrumental in getting them into Lune Ruschia. 


I wondered how sad Dan Holland and the other members of the team who were following him must have been to lose their benefactor. 


They proved that Professor Batiste had done the right thing in leading them here. And they would continue to prove it. 


I gave them a big round of applause. 


Congratulations. Congratulations indeed. 


I was a little bit proud of the fact that the gummies I collected were also used in the toys they made. 


I wasn’t the only one. Nero, Lepis, and even Frey were reluctantly applauded. 


The students fell silent. 


Gulping down their saliva, they waited for the headmaster to speak. 


It was finally time for the overall top student to be announced.


The top student would receive the honor of being the Garnet honor student.


“...?”


But just then... 


Feeling the ground shaking slightly, everyone looked around, murmuring slightly.


What was it? Was it an earthquake…? 


I was thinking that there had been a lot of earthquakes lately, when I felt a tremor so strong that I couldn't stand immediately after. Then, I heard an unpleasant sound like glass being scratched. 


“Kyaaaaaaah!”


Sharp screams went up all at once.


The huge lacrima held up by the lighthouse shattered outwards, and the sharp shards fell on us in the plaza. 


A sturdy magic wall was put up right above the students. It was the teachers’ spell.


Among them, Professor Ulysses was looking up at the lighthouse with a grim expression on his face. 


He was looking at the wreckage of the broken lacrima. 


As he bent down, Nero lowered his voice next to me and said, “I saw it. The lacrima was intentionally broken by the impact of alight shot in a straight line from right next to it…!”


“What?”


I couldn’t quite believe it, but the magic contact lenses over his eyes were analyzing something on the dividing line. If he said he saw it, it must be true. 


An attack? By whom? What was their goal in attacking this school?


As I recall, that lacrima crystal was the key to all the magical functions of Lune Ruschia. 


If it was destroyed, the magic school was now in a state where the supply of magic power had been cut off, and all functions had ceased. Wasn’t that very dangerous…?


While we were all in confusion, a huge magic circle appeared in the skies above the southern end of the school island.


I had seen that magic circle before. I gasped.


“No way, that magic circle…”


“Yes, there is no mistake. That is the magic circle of the Heavenly Empire’s teleportation magic…”


Lapis, who was also at my side, affirmed. Her voice sounded like it was being squeezed out. I understood what was going on, whether I liked it or not.



This is an attack by the Hermedes Heavenly Empire of the north.



Something was descending from the magic circle. They looked like black spots. 


At first I didn’t know what they were, but then I saw the teachers using farsighted magic and Nero with his magical contact lenses, looking as though they couldn’t believe what they were saying. 


I look once more at the sky. I narrowed my eyes. 


The black dots that descended from the sky seemed to be lifeforms in distorted shapes——


“No way…demons…?”


The reason why they looked like made-up props or masked creatures was because we were able to live our lives without ever seeing them until now.


But I knew. I’d seen the stuffed models several times.


They were–demons. And they were definitely ogres.



“They’re demons! Demons are descending onto Lune Ruschia!”



Someone shouted desperately. Now the students knew too.


“Demons…?”


“No way. Why the Kingdom of Ruschia…?”


The bewilderment was replaced by fear in a matter of seconds. 


The screams from all over the place became sharper and sharper, and everyone was shoving each other and running, trying to escape. The school, which we all thought was safe, was dominated by the fear of the unknown. 


“Everyone, calm down! Follow Professor Lila’s instructions and go to the labyrinth!”


“The labyrinth’s entrance is over here! Don’t push each other!”


The loud voices of Professor Medite and Professor Lila echoed through the hall.


The teachers of Lune Ruschia began to shout and lead the evacuees to the labyrinth, which was underneath the school island.


It felt unreal, but this school was now in the middle of an emergency. 


There had been many incidents in the past, but this one came without warning along with the turning point of our academic career.



——On this day, something will change. 



I was sure everyone was thinking this. 


I had a premonition, an uneasy feeling. 


I looked up with a start as a dazzling light illuminated my surroundings. 


“Professor…Ulysses…”


Professor Ulysses was raising his staff up high on the podium.


The shattered lacrima of the lighthouse was being repaired by his magic. 


The shards of the magic crystal were tinged with light, and when they combined together in a blink of an eye, there was a pleasant clink sound. 


Even under these circumstances, the way the professor’s magic fixed broken things was beautiful. 


“Lafox!”


And then, Professor Ulysses called the name of a certain spirit.


A glossy orange fox appeared before Professor Ulysses’ eyes and quickly transforms into a young man. It was the gardener Lafox, who I met before.


“The minstrel fox Lafox, at your service.”


He took off his feathered hat and bowed gracefully. 


“Explain the situation to me.”


“Yes. As Your Highness may have guessed, a magician of the Heavenly Empire has broken the boundaries of the school island and destroyed the lacrima. During the earthquake, the functions of the lacrima temporarily shifted to earthquake countermeasures, and we believe they took advantage of this.”


“A magician of the Heavenly Empire…?”


“It seems that several magicians skilled in aerial magic have infiltrated Lune Ruschia. They dropped a gate on the shoals and unleashed that large-scale magic spell.”


Lafox reported easygoingly, but Professor Ulysses’s face was grim.


“There are many students scattered across the island. Before anything else, the evacuation of the students is our top priority.”

 

Professor Ulysses stabbed the ground with his cane, hard. 


Then, in a stern voice, he ordered. 


“Tell this to all the spirits protecting Lune Ruschia: Protect all the students on the island and help them take refuge in the labyrinth.”


The trees rustled, and I could tell that the winds were passing on his commands to the spirits.


How was Professor Ulysses able to give orders to all the spirits of Lune Ruschia Magic School at this time? I wasn't sure if that was the authority given to teachers or not… 


But no matter how you looked at it, it was a serious situation. 


Large-scale teleportation magic allowed the enemy to attack us by surprise, without even giving us any warning that they were coming. It left us in confusion and gave us no choice but to go on the defensive. 


What should I do? What should I…  


“Leader! Don’t just stand there! They told us to escape underground!”


“Ah…!”


But Frey grabbed me by my arm, and pushed by the wave of students, I hurried to the opened underground labyrinth.


All the while feeling conflicted and intensely anxious.




The final impregnable fortress built under Lune Ruschia–the school island labyrinth.


The students had taken refuge in the “Salt Maze” on the first level. 


This was a place that had been used in a previous class for a group assignment. It was a maze of corridors and staircases that look like white sugar candy connecting drafty spaces. It was said that the salt from the Salt Forest, provided by my ancestor, the〈Scarlet Witch〉, was used to build this place. 


In that class, automatons were deployed as the enemy to be defeated, but this time they were also machine soldiers protecting the students. 


Since all grades, from the lowest to the highest, were intermingled, everyone seemed to have been evacuated here during the closing ceremony held on the school island. The closing ceremonies for each year were held in close proximity. 


There must be many ways to get to the labyrinth on the island. If something happened to the school, they must be able to escape here. 


The students all had pale faces and bluish lips. 


No wonder. They saw something called a demon for the first time in their life, albeit from a distance. 


Countless demons, unleashed by the enemy, had invaded our peaceful school and were now closing in on us.


“What would happen if those things landed in Lune Ruschia?”


“They’ll probably torture everyone to death.”


I could hear voices of anxiety and fear everywhere.


We didn’t know what was going on outside, and we didn’t know what was going to happen from now on.


Even if we stayed here, we might get attacked. 


This didn’t only concern the school―this problem involved the whole of the Kingdom of Ruschia.


How did this happen? 


The country and the school should have been on alert. 


When Professor Batiste was taken over by the〈Blue Jester〉, something important that led to this situation must have leaked out.  


With this day, our long-protected peace in this country was broken——


“Oi, are you okay, Leader?”


Frey shook my shoulders.


I returned to myself and alternately looked at the faces of Frey and Nero, who were standing right there.


But then, finally, I realized something.


“Hey…wait, Lapis isn’t here.”


“...!?”


I assumed she was by our side all this time.


But though we looked around and searched everywhere, she wasn’t there. We couldn’t find her.


I was an idiot…I had been thinking about this and that, and hadn't checked on the safety of my precious friend.


“Could it be that she was left behind above ground…?”


“It’s Miss Lapis we’re talking about! She wouldn’t be too slow to escape.”


Frey’s face tensed, and he shook his head.


“...No. She might have intentionally stayed behind aboveground.”


My breath caught at Nero’s meaningful words.



No, it wasn’t possible, but…perhaps because I heard about Lapis’s circumstances not too long ago, several guesses flashed across my mind.


I was reminded of the conversation between Professor Ulysses and Lafox that I had heard when I was escaping. 


The reason why the lacrima that controlled Lune Ruschia Magic School’s magical functions was destroyed was because several magicians who specialized in spatial magic broke through the wards by attacking us when we were unguarded…   


“...ah.”


It was no good. I had to go find Lapis!


I had a terribly bad feeling about this. Like I might not be able to see Lapis again…


“Oi, oi, oi, don’t be ridiculous, Leader! I understand how you feel, but we can’t do anything in this situation!”


I didn’t listen to Frey as he tried to stop me and searched for an exit from the labyrinth.


The entrance we came through was already sealed off and the automatons were deployed. My worry was growing rapidly. Frey and Nero followed me, unable to stop me as I tried to leave. 


“Makia!”


It was then that I heard a loud voice calling my name. 


“...Airi.”


Airi, who had come to the closing ceremony in secret, was there with an anxious look on her face. 


Surely, she too had been made to escape into this Maze of Salt. Prince Gilbert was at her side. 

But Thor and Lionel, who were also Guardians, were nowhere to be seen. 


“Where are you going, Makia? It’s dangerous outside!”


Airi clung to me and made me stop.


I was a little startled,  because Airi seemed to be worried about me. 


But I couldn't stay calm either. 


“A-Airi, I'm sorry. But my friend is…my best friend is stranded aboveground.”


I pulled Airi away from me with shaking hands as she clung to me.


“I have to go help her. I…”


What would I do if something happened to Lapis?


Why did Lapis stay outside by herself without telling us anything?


“Then, then take me with you. I can use my Savior powers to hide you! So…”


Airi persistently asked me to take her with me.


I couldn’t understand her words and actions. Why was she worried about me and trying to help me? 


Didn’t she hate me?


“You can’t, Airi! The enemy might be attacking Lune Ruschia to get to you! This is an awful thing to say, but…only you must be protected no matter what!”


“How could you say that, Gil!”


“I don’t want to say it either! But, only for this time, I can’t listen to your selfishness!”


Prince Gilbert shouted to restrain Airi. 


His desperate expression told the whole story.


In this critical moment, he was faced with the choice of whether or not he could protect his Savior under these circumstances.


As a Guardian. As the prince of this country. ...His choice was right. 


I also remembered my position as one of the Guardians. My confused mind suddenly became calm. 


I put my hand on the shoulder of Airi, who was pale with worry for me. 


“Thank you, Airi. But there might be enemies in this labyrinth. I want you to stay here and protect everyone here and the anxious students, please.”


Airi shook her head, teary-eyed.


“Makia…But, I came here to apologi–”


“Please.”


I kept Airi here by strongly, strongly, emphasizing that.


Airi also seemed to realize that there was no point in saying anything more, so she slowly lowered her gaze and tightly gripped the sheath of her dagger to her chest.


And then,


“...Makia. Thor and Lionel are fighting on the ground. If anything happens, ask them for help.”


“Airi.”


“I really am useless. But…until you all return, I will protect this place.”


At those words, I felt a strange sense of relief.



It was just an intuition thing.


But I felt like I saw the Savior Airi there.


Comments

  1. Omg, thank you so much for the update. Can't wait to read the rest of it. Sht's really starting to go down and I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. I was definitely impatient before this chapter and now I'm even more. :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog