Maydare Volume 3 Other Side - Frey, Most Likely Wishing for a Dull Grey Life.

 I was lowkey hoping for this chapter to explain why Frey doesn't seem to have a familiar. I don't think the author explained it in the next two volumes either???

Anyways the next chapter is pretty long so I'll probably split it in three for the first time in a while


My name is Frey. 


Frey Levi Ru Ruschia. 


I’m the son of Evil Queen Lara, the fifth prince, and a failure who had no self-awareness about being a prince.


Back at the palace, people would call me all kinds of things, but I guess that was to be expected.




“You worthless piece of trash. If you looked a little more like His Majesty, you’d be a little cuter.”




Lara, the fourth consort, continued to despite her son, who looked exactly like her.


Lara probably lacked self-esteem and hated herself.


Even though she is my mother, I still found her pitiful, even now.


I grew up, not loved by my mother from the time I was born, mocked by the people of the palace for being a prince with half commoner blood, and surrounded by the malice of those who looked down on me. Some even rumored that I, who didn’t resemble the king all that much, wasn’t the king’s son.


But even with all that, I was proud to be a prince of this country when I was little.


That was probably because the High Consort, Lady Alicia, kept reciting this to me.




“Frey. You have nothing to put yourself down for. Have confidence. Be proud. You are the son of a king. You are the fifth prince of this country.”




Since they were born as the princes of this country, each of them surely had a worthy role to play, and a destiny prepared for them to protect the people of this country.




“You can hear the bells of Diemo Cathedral from the palace, can’t you? If you are ever in doubt, listen to the sound of those bells. And eventually, you will be able to ring the bells of destiny yourself.”




She kept telling me this as a young child, loving me in place of my mother, and educating me like a prince.


I learned the warmth of a mother, but even so, my yearning for a woman who wasn’t my mother turned into faint feelings of love for her, though I was very young. That was how precious Lady Alicia was to me.


And even though I was the fifth prince, a position with no advantages at all, I…genuinely wished to one day become a pillar of this country, a force to support my older brothers.


Especially, Brother Gilbert. I wanted to be useful to him.


I respected my brother, the third prince who was five years older than me, more than anyone else.


I was criticized often from an early age, but he always defended me. In a palace filled with factions, power struggles, malice, and murderous intent, he stood in front of me and resolutely protected me from those who wanted to harm me. He was very, very cool.


That was why I kept wishing.


If only Lady Alicia was my real mother.


If only I shared the same mother as Brother Gilbert.


But on the day Lady Alicia passed away, the colors of my world changed.


Everything I believed was turned on its head.




“Disappear, Frey. From my sight…from this palace.”


“You are not fit to be a prince of this country. Unlike me, you are born from that lowborn and vulgar woman!”




The only two people who I had ever loved, more than my own mother, had rejected me, stripped me of all my rights, and banished me from the palace.


Maybe for a long, long time now.


Maybe Lady Alicia and Brother Gilbert hated me as well.


Maybe they were looking for an opportunity to get rid of me.


As a child, that was a great shock to me, and I thought that there was no one on my side anywhere in the world.


Everyone in this world wanted me to be unhappy.


They wished a dull, grey life for me.




After that, I was shuffled through one boarding school after the other.


I was forbidden from revealing my princely identity, but no matter where I went, I didn’t care about anything. I didn’t want to make friends, and I was afraid to do so.


But I missed the warmth of another body, and so I kept seeking out older women unconsciously and indiscriminately.


Without becoming attached to one person, I aimlessly went from one woman to another. I used my【Earth】blessing to go from place to place to soothe my loneliness even just temporarily.


Perhaps I was seeking Lady Alicia’s visage somewhere.




In winter, when I was fifteen years old, I was at a faraway boarding school when I received a rare visitor.


It was Brother Ulysses, the second prince. 


He was my brother who was more than ten years older than me. When I was little, he had been studying abroad in a place called Vabel or something like that, and we had little to do with each other.


But Brother Ulysses smiled a smile that showed nothing about what he was thinking, and spoke to me.



“Next spring, please enroll at Lune Ruschia Magic School. Frey, you have a talent for magic. Well, just take me at my word and entrust everything to me.”



What is this person saying, I thought.


I did have the【Earth】blessing. It was ironically my inheritance from Evil Queen Lara.


They say that all Blessed Children had a talent for magic, but did that mean they should study magic, which they had no interest in?


They say that Brother Ulysses was an extraordinary magical prodigy. He is said to be one of the best talents in several hundred years, the second coming of the White Sage, and had been a much-loved prince with many things expected from him ever since he was a child.


Even if I were a Blessed Child and had talent for magic, I would never be able to compete with this person.


What did they expect or want me to do?


I’ve been warped and submissive these past few years, and even if I enrolled at Lune Ruschia with my brother’s connections, there was no way I’d suddenly be motivated.


In my first year, I was just a lazy student put into a team with zero motivation. As a result, I didn’t acquire much skill or knowledge, and I repeated a year.


Serves you right. I’m nothing much.


Magic won’t save me, and I won’t use magic to help anyone.


I’m sure I’ll spend the rest of my life here, smoldering, rotting, and dying alone while being laughed at by many people. That was what they wanted.


I continued to disappoint them and continued to be wretched.


Well, are you satisfied?


The son of Evil Queen Lara, who drove the precious Lady Alicia to her death, would bear that guilt and be in this prison for the rest of his life. He will spend the rest of his life in this prison called magic school.




“We're sorry to disturb you when you’re sleeping so soundly, but could we have a minute?”




But there were still people who found me like this and sought me out.

Garnet Team 9. Miss Makia, the baron’s daughter and nagging team leader, Nero, who was quiet in contrast and cool, and Miss Lapis, the beautiful but strict foreign student. They were quirky team members who weren’t hard to remember.


I was in an unmotivated team before, but this team was the exact opposite. The leader pulled the team members along with her abundant enthusiasm and motivation for magic, and I also let myself be dragged along, somehow enjoying a fulfilling school life.


Magic was also interesting when you try to do it seriously. If I didn’t understand something, I could ask the other team members. Everyone in Garnet Team 9 was generally brilliant and hardworking.


That wasn’t all. It felt kind of cozy.


For some reason, I felt comforted when I saw everyone in the atelier on the outskirts of school.


When I went back to that place, everyone said “Welcome back” to me.


Even when the leader scolded me, I sometimes thought, Well, this isn’t so bad.


Also, when they found out I was a prince, no one changed how they acted towards me.


Maybe it was because everyone was in this magic school with the same or even more unimaginable circumstances as me.


I knew that much. I’ve always been good at reading the atmosphere.


Immersed in the coziness of Team 9, I had forgotten about it a bit recently.


The lowliness and sinfulness of my existence.


The fact that I was a prince who everyone wished a worm-like existence for.


That hand mirror must have appeared in front of me to remind me of that.




The bells of the great cathedral were ringing.


It was that sound that was condemning me.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog